Re: there are markup options [was: Re: img/alt summary attempt]

Ian Hickson 08-04-15 21.09:   ­
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Al Gilman wrote:
>
> The problem is that there are _three_ states, not two:
>
>  1. Image is not important. (alt="")
>  2. Image is important, alternative text is available. (alt="...")
>  3. Image is important, alternative text is not available.
>
> Case 3 is the one we are discussing. Cases 1 and 2 are well understood and
> nobody is suggesting changing them.

What do you exactly mean by "unavailable"? I ask because In another
message you said that:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>
>> > The only actual solution suggestion I see there is alt="1", alt="2",
>> > etc,  but it is unclear how that would improve accessibility.

So, if you see the solution alt=1, alt=2, does that mean that
alternative text **is** available? Or does it mean that it is unavailable?
--
leif halvard silli