Re: Discussing ARIA in HTML5 integration

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 11:30 -0400, Al Gilman wrote:
> Good points.
>
> On 9 Apr 2008, at 4:17 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> >
> > I happened to find this curious statement in the IRC logs of a
> > third WG:
> > "Gregory: We (WAI) arranged a special meeting with HTML5 people to
> > discuss Aria, and no one from HTML5 turned up"
> > "... so we are ignoring them for the moment"
> > http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/xhtml/20080402#l-139

Gregory said something like that in a recent HTML WG teleconference
as well; I got the impression that there was some recent attempt to
set up a teleconference and it didn't work out for various reasons.

Such is life.

> This demonstrates the downside potential of too much public visibility.
> Things can get taken out of context, and taken too seriously.

The cost of a few clarification mail messages is modest...

> > On a more general note:
> >
> > Face-to-face meeting and telecons are problematic for discussing
> > detailed technical things like language integration, because people
> > don't have the opportunity to re-study drafts, write test cases and
> > do research in order to make informed statements and change their
> > opinions based on verified information in the middle of the
> > conversation. Moreover, by charter[1], the HTML WG "primarily
> > conducts its technical work on a Public mailing list public-html".
> > After all, face-to-face meetings and telecons would discriminate
> > against a substantial number of HTML WG participants.

Meanwhile, email isn't perfect either; the occasional supplementary
teleconference, IRC chat, etc. can help quite a bit.

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E