Re: The mapping of phi

Banging the drum yet again, there is no way to deal with &phi and &phiv
mappings that "works" for everyone.  No matter what you do, over time as
font designers update their fonts or come out with new ones, the appearance
of these characters will change from a few years ago because font designers
will look to the Unicode spec, not what HTML defines, as to what to draw for
each code point.

As a random guess based on what we found when we looked at fonts that define
these characters, at this point in time, about 2/3 of the pages that use
these characters will look different in HTML4 than they did four years ago.
Updating the HTML5 mappings to the Unicode spec will restore the appearance
that they had four years ago at the expense of the other 1/3 of the pages.
Over time, the percentage of old fonts being used will move towards zero.
If the mapping change were made to HTML5,  that would mean almost all pages
would look like they used to.... except for the ones where people have
changed the entity name because they realized that the name was mapped wrong
and did the obvious work around.

Neil Soiffer
Senior Scientist
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of Equation Editor, MathType, MathPlayer and MathFlow ~