Re: hand authoring web pages (was Re: Exploring new vocabularies for HTML)

Just to confuse the issue more I will add that a lot of the systems
that generate HTML use templates that were created by ... handcoding?
coding in an IDE or WYSIWYG? etc. Do users of WYSIWYG editors not ever
look at the HTML view? (Some do). Do they always leave the generator
tag in there? (Some don't).

Hand authoring is not just about authoring complete HTML documents. It
is often about tweaking HTML code in other systems, templates,
frameworks, XSLT files, wysiwyg editors and so on. It's not the be all
and end all, but it remains an important aspect of the lower barrier
to creating and contributing web content.

And then there's hand authoring for systems like mediawiki and forums
that use their own form of ""markup"" ~:)