Re: Multipart response support (and other new features)

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 13:28 +0200, Henrik Dvergsdal wrote:

> On 28. mar. 2007, at 13.10, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>
> > Discussion of multipart/* MIME types are out of scope of this HTML
> > WG, as it is a trasport layer issue.
>
> This is definetly not a transport layer issue. HTTP already supports
> multipart responses. And I think that any proposed change in HTML and
> corresponding browser support is withing the scope of this group.

Our scope is considerably smaller than that.
http://www.w3.org/2007/03/HTML-WG-charter.html#scope

A while ago, I wrote:

| At this brainstorming stage, all ideas are welcome.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007JanMar/0168.html

That turns out to be not such a good idea. We're generating
a lot of heat and not much light.

I was thinking that a bit of brainstorming was inevitable,
and I would try to try shape the discussion a bit. I
think I'll be more clear about the value of bringing up new
features at this point:

I suggest discussion of new features at this point in
this WG is not likely to be a good use of time. Consider
who you're trying to convince. Then think about whether
they've joined the WG yet. Some of the people who run
the web sites and ship the software that dominate
the world's understanding of HTML are here (hi Arun and
company from AOL!) but some are not. We got an
update from Chris Wilson of Microsoft earlier this
week. I'm actively recruiting several others as well.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E