Re: Leading the Forefront - with IRC ! ?

On Mar 23, 2007, at 12:38, Gavin Pearce wrote:

> This might be just me, but considering we're meant to be leading the
> forefront of internet technologies, everything seems rather dated.
>
> IRC and an old school mailing list? We must be able to find a
> better way to
> put together something as major as we're working on!

Mailing list works for asynchronous communication. IRC works for near-
synchronous communication.

> It's too hard to organize ideas for everyone to look at them, we
> need a
> forum, a more up-to-date mailing list, an online chat service, online
> brainstorming, an ideas board, work in progress etc etc ...

Email and IRC have optimized client software available for a wide
variety of platforms and user tastes. In addition, they allow users
to run their own scripts on incoming messages. OTOH, with Web forums,
you are stuck with whatever UI the particular implementation
provides. The mailing list is the forum. The IRC channel is the
online chat service. The Web site is the open issue board.

Let's stick to the mailing list and the IRC channel.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi