Re: DOMObject.firstChild inconsistencies

At 02:08 AM 3/21/2007, Ian Hickson wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Dailey, David P. wrote:
>
> > The total number of children in a given document is usually entirely
> > different. If we wish to be able to parse a document according to what I
> > surmise are W3C standards, then it would be nice if our browsers could
> > agree on how many nodes there are.
>
>For what it's worth, the WHATWG HTML5 spec does define this precisely:
>
>    http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#parsing

Okay, this helps me understand what Daniel was saying earlier in this
thread. Let's just consider this thread, then, to be subsumed under
the earlier thread "HTML parsing, <script>, and document.write()
test/issue details?" The incongruent node counts offered by differing
browsers are, I suppose, just more evidence that parsing rules are needed.

In that thread you wrote:

 >If anyone wants to construct said tests, the relevant parts of the
WHATWG specification are: [snip]

I think most of the anomalies contained in the page I referenced
earlier could be useful in that capacity.

DPD