Re: [whatwg] Video proposals

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 23:29:07 +0100, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz> wrote:

> W3C currently keeps normative list of HTML elements. Do you think that
> W3C should give up, disband this and other WGs and each designer should
> test which tag is supported between dozen of web-browsers and create
> his/her own markup language (which will be subset of HTML plus some
> widely supported "non-standard" extensions)? I think no.

Of course not. But even if W3C's HTML 4.01 specification lists a number of
elements and attributes and have done so for many years, still a great
deal of them aren't supported by most browsers.

> If this group is unable to come with renewed version of HTML which will
> align HTML standard with its current usage and address requests for
> several new features and at the same time persuade *all* browser vendors
> to support it, then it is a failure.

Perhaps that would be a failure to you, but the HTML charter says pretty
clear what its success measures are. However, I agree that getting all
major browser vendors to support all of it has to be the goal.

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg     -=|=-    http://virtuelvis.com/quark/