RE: HTML/XML TF report introductory text

Edward,

I believe that technically you are correct.

However,

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_doctype.asp

HTML <!DOCTYPE> Declaration

Definition and Usage

The doctype declaration should be the very first thing in an HTML document,
before the <html> tag.

The doctype declaration is not an HTML tag; it is an instruction to the web
browser about what version of the markup language the page is written in.

The doctype declaration refers to a Document Type Definition (DTD). The DTD
specifies the rules for the markup language, so that the browsers render the
content correctly.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html5-diff/

I believe that the following is the evidence that proves your statement:

With HTML5 this is no longer the case and the DOCTYPE is only needed to
enable standards mode for documents written using the HTML syntax. Browsers
already do this for <!DOCTYPE html>.

In short, we need to state that the only purpose of the DOCTYPE declaration
is to communicate to the browser the format of the document. This leads to
the question, what should one put in the first line for an XHTML5 page? The
problem is that it is probably not economically feasible under the present
circumstances to create a full schema that describes html5 and thus provides
xhtml5, which would then use <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> or
similar statement. Therefore, essentially some sort of add-on is needed to
extend html5 to provide the functionality of xhtml5.