Re: The interpretation of script

On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 05:21 -0800, Henri Sivonen wrote:
[...]
> If you were to check for native support of MusicXML in
> application/xhtml+xml today, what would you check? It's hard enough to
> check for MathML support.

When we were designing namespaces in XML (a process that got truncated
by an externally-imposed two-week deadline, unfortunately) I was naïvely
hoping for a mechanism whereby a Web browser/UA ecountering a namespace
it didn't support would go off and fetch code, rather as they do for
plugins...

The biggest spanner in the works here was that Java was the most likely
candidate for the code...  today JavaScript probably has enough
traction, and it would for sure be nice to say, "darling browser, if you
already have code to handle this, use it, otherwise fetch _this_ or use
an equivalent cached copy" - e.g. then browsers could ship with a copy
of the jQuery library and Web pages could supply a digital signature of
the desired library version along with a link.

Liam