Re: What problem is this task force trying to solve and why?

One other possibility that comes to mind is simply to create a
<foreignContent> element in HTML5. SVG has a similar element (usually for
holding HTML, oddly enough). This would simply tell the processor to not
display the content in question, not to parse it, not to do anything with
it. From the standpoint of HTML5, it's non-displayed text. It would be the
responsibility of the web developer to parse this content into something
meaningful, and if it breaks, then it breaks.

Yes, it's a data island. If the HTML5 working group feels so strongly about
the purity of the language, a data island is the minimal subset necessary to
ensure some form of extension. Throwing XML content into a <script block as
"application/xml" id="foo"> works better, because it performs parsing of
corresponding documents, but either way, embedding XML in HTML is not a hard
problem. The only hard problem is getting past this phobia about XML content
ending up in HTML.

Kurt Cagle
XML Architect
*Lockheed / US National Archives ERA Project*