Re: Response from Director to formal objection "Turn off EME by default and activate only with express permission from user"

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 12:39 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
> Just for for the record, as one of the organizations driving this effort,
> our rationale for this has nothing at all to do with the DMCA and everything
> to do with improving the user experience: specifically plug-in free access
> to our service and access to hardware decoders to improve battery life and
> video quality. Improvement in security and privacy vs Silverlight is also a
> benefit. That's really it: hardware decoders enabling 4K and soon HDR are a
> big deal for us. This has been a lot of work for a technical refactoring
> exercise.

You got me curious...

This may be off-topic but now that you've mentioned it.
How is EME helping with the use of hardware decoder, 4K and/or support for HDR?

The requirements for secure path after all limit Chrome and Firefox to
a maximum of 720p resolution. And hardware decoding capabilities had
to be removed precisely because of EME and vendor requirements.

Note that I do not wish to participate in the current debate about
EME. It would be rather inappropriate for me to do so.