[media-source] Seeking should start playing immediately from closest video Key-frame, or are we missing something?

From: mazzomazzo via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2017 02:49:29 +0000
To: public-html-media@w3.org
mazzomazzo has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/media-source:

== Seeking should start playing immediately from closest video Key-frame, or are we missing something?  ==
Chrome and Edge both have this issue: when a user seeks in a local buffered range, the playback sometimes continues from video p-frame; sometimes video freezes for 1-2 sec until a key-frame is reached.

Please take a look at these two live streams:
http://umediaserver.net/umediaserver/demohtml5player.html
http://umediaserver.net/umediaserver/demoiptvhtml5.html

While playing, try to seek in a local buffer (it contains 1 minute of latest content) and you will see the issue. Both of these streams have Key-frame frequency of 3-4 seconds. It seems like when the player seeks by setting video.currentTime = value, then the player picks a frame at this exact commanded value, even if it is a p-frame. So you either start playing from p-frame or wait until playback reaches key-frame.

Why the player is not jumping to the closest key-frame to start playing from there?

Thank you.
UMedia team

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/179 using your GitHub account