W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-media@w3.org > October 2016

[Minutes] HTML Media Extensions WG meeting, Tue Oct 25

From: Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 07:44:26 +0000
To: "'public-html-media@w3.org'" <public-html-media@w3.org>
Message-ID: <CY4PR03MB2728E3065CA61C075AE499E5EAAB0@CY4PR03MB2728.namprd03.prod.outlook.com>
Meeting: HTML Media Extensions WG meeting, Tue Oct 125

Minutes are recorded at http://www.w3.org/2016/10/25-html-media-minutes.html<http://www.w3.org/2016/10/18-html-media-minutes.html>
and below.

/paulc



[W3C]<http://www.w3.org/>

- DRAFT -
HTML Media Task Force Teleconference
25 Oct 2016

Agenda<https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2016Oct/0047.html>

See also: IRC log<http://www.w3.org/2016/10/25-html-media-irc>

Attendees
Present
paulc, jdsmith, markw, joesteele, ddorwin
Regrets
Chair
Paul
Scribe
plh
Contents

  *   Topics<http://www.w3.org/2016/10/25-html-media-minutes.html#agenda>
     *   EME timeline<http://www.w3.org/2016/10/25-html-media-minutes.html#item01>
     *   EME test status<http://www.w3.org/2016/10/25-html-media-minutes.html#item02>
     *   Test suite open issues<http://www.w3.org/2016/10/25-html-media-minutes.html#item03>
     *   EME open issues<http://www.w3.org/2016/10/25-html-media-minutes.html#item04>
     *   Proposal to Advance EME to Proposed Recommendation<http://www.w3.org/2016/10/25-html-media-minutes.html#item05>
     *   EME @risk features<http://www.w3.org/2016/10/25-html-media-minutes.html#item06>
  *   Summary of Action Items<http://www.w3.org/2016/10/25-html-media-minutes.html#ActionSummary>
  *   Summary of Resolutions<http://www.w3.org/2016/10/25-html-media-minutes.html#ResolutionSummary>

________________________________

<jdsmith> Are you joining the call, Paul?

<paulc> Yes, I am here

<scribe> scribeNick: plh

<paulc> Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2016Oct/0047.html
EME timeline

Paul: we're supposed to have the test suite completed with the test results
... CfC on Nov 8
... but that was for a revised CR
EME test status

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2016Oct/0050.html

Jerry: was expecting Chrome some of the persistent license tests and it didn't
... might be missing something

David: did you run them on chrome os?
... we don't expect chrome on windows to pass those

Jerry: if you can run the tests and give me the json, I'll include it

David: also we made 2 PRs since then but will not change the less-than-2
... in general, the results were expected

Jerry: so bugs on errors type/handling aren't blockers
... for persistent usage records, we have a few bugs
... including the readyState

David: Chrome has an underlying issue related to this
... Chris has a PR for that
... so we can fix the spec and land those

Jerry: some bugs are linked to WPT, affecting 2 tests

David: one test should be disabled unless it gets fixed

Mark: agreed

Paul: so, we're waiting on chrome os results
... and waiting on fixes on the test suite itself

David: we'll deal with the readyState proposal today, should wrap up the spec, and Chris can update his WPT test PR

Paul: and he might need time to make implementation changes

Jerry: I'll produce a summary of the 14 tests
Test suite open issues

https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue%20is%3Aopen%20label%3Aencrypted-media%20-milestone%3AVNext

Paul: how many of these do we expect to solve?

David: #4027 is critical
... #4058 is a spec text issue
... others are request for additional testing

MarkW: for #4027, I think it's not essential. no need to pass at the moment.
... so test should be deactivated
EME open issues

https://github.com/w3c/encrypted-media/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue%20is%3Aopen%20-milestone%3AVNext%20

David: #312. lack of interest to move forward.
... #333 has a PR for that. will land.
... #336 is about readyState. there is a proposal.
... #340 is also approved.

Plh: #183 . would need w3c to have a different way to do registries

Paul: mark it v.next

David: make sure we have proper wording on updates

Plh: ok

Paul: we'll come back to #85 later
Proposal to Advance EME to Proposed Recommendation

Paul: we got a proposal from MSFT

<joesteele> and a response from Adobe

Jerry: [summarize the proposal]

[going around the table for opinions]

David: if we remove both persistent type, we'll remove quite a bit of text from the spec...

Paul: if we can point to bugs on browser implementations with some sort of commitments, that would help our evidence

Mark: we should ask the Safari folks...

Paul: done it and didn't get a response. no pre-announcement from them.
... we could take it offline

Mark: [repeating Netflix position]
EME @risk features

Paul: if I put a CfC to propose to retain persistent license and readyState (if fixed), we need to decide with persistent-usage-record
... where is the sweet spot?

David: persitent license isn't at risk
... and we don't have implementation persistent-usage-record
... and for readyState, we know how it should work but don't have a passing implementation

Joe: +1
... we don't have a strong opinion on persistent-usage-record and readyState

Jerry: we proposed a bar. do we think it's viable?

Paul: what really matters is what people want to do. Chris wants to get things done. So, looking for a CfC to pass. Not worried about the rational.
... the original text points to the passive criteria, which gives room for judgment
... I don't think I'd have troubles to argue to the Director
... having pointers to implementation bugs would just give us more data
... I hear support for removing persistent-usage-record and retaining readyState if we can fix it
... and we will not publish a new CR and go directly to PR

Mark: I think the criteria proposed by MS leads to a different conclusion. I suggest making one passing implementation to be the minimum bar.

Paul: agreed

Plh: sounds a reasonable approach.

Jerry: for persistent-license, it will require that ChromeOS passes those tests.

David: should be the case

Paul: ok, I think I know how to craft the CfC at this point
... ok, we have our actions and a plan

[adjourned]

Summary of Action Items
Summary of Resolutions
[End of minutes]
________________________________
Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm> version 1.148 (CVS log<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/>)
$Date: 2016/10/25 15:53:42 $
________________________________

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
17 Eleanor Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2E 6A3
Tel: (425) 705-9596 Fax: (425) 936-7329


image001.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: image001.jpg)

Received on Wednesday, 26 October 2016 07:45:22 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 15:49:17 UTC