Re: [media-source] MSE Spec Test Coverage Report (Feb. 2016)

Hi Paul, Hi Matt,

Here is a summary of the difference between WPT and Blink on MSE testing
together with the comparison table [1] I posted last week.

* Summary note

The WPT test suite for MSE contains 174 tests through 44 test files, two js
library files, and one manifest file. The Blink test suite for MSE contains 208
tests through 47 test files, two js library files, and 12 files which describe
expected behaviors of some tests to help testers check if the tests are
successfully completed.

The Blink test suite contains 36 WPT test files with some modifications. In
other words, eight test files in WPT are not yet taken into Blink. The Blink
test suite contains 13 original test files, two of which are Blink specific so
that wouldn't fit into WPT.

If we merge these two test suites in a way which maximizes the number of tests,
the resulting test suite will contain 221 tests through 55 test files, two js
library files, one manifest file, and 10 'expected' files. This will bring 27%
increase in the number of tests for WPT, and 7% increase in that for Blink if
the Blink team uses the merged test suite as its upstream.

Merging these two test suites would be not so complicated but still need some
works. For example, some Blink tests don't use the W3C test harness, there are
difference in coding style such as string literals, etc.

Putting all these considerations together, it seems like a good idea to merge
these two test suites.

This is still my straw plan. I'll talk to Matt to figure out if we should merge
these two suites, and, if we should, how.

Regards,
Yosuke

[1] https://www.w3.org/2016/02/MSE-WPT-Blink-dir-comparison.pdf

--
Yosuke Funahashi
Web and TV IG co-chair, Entertainment vertical champion,