[media-source] ISO BMFF Byte Stream format should support layered (scalable) encodings

From: None via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 16:49:54 +0000
To: public-html-media@w3.org
mwatson2 has just created a new issue for
https://github.com/w3c/media-source:

== ISO BMFF Byte Stream format should support layered (scalable)
encodings ==
ISO/IEC 14496-15 describes the carriage of layered (scalable)
encodings in ISO Base Media File Format. Examples include SVC and MVC.

Such layered encodings can be encoded within a single track, or with
multiple tracks, for example one for each layer. In the multi-layer
case, when Movie Fragments are used, there are two ways the data can
be organized into movie fragments:
(1) A single moof / mdat(s) pair can contain the data for the several
tracks for each media segment
(2) The several tracks can be split into several consecutive moof /
mdat(s) pairs

Option (1) is supported by our existing MSE byte stream format, but
option (2) is not because we require that each "media segment"
consists of a single moof and mdat(s). Option (2) has advantage
because, typically, the sequence of moof / mdat(s) containing the
"base layer" can be processed by a device which does not understand
the scalable encoding.

So, I propose we modify our definition of Media Segment for the ISO
BMFF byte stream format to consist of a sequence of one or more (
moof, mdat (, mdat)* ) structures where:
- all data referred to in each moof appears in the immediately
following sequence of mdats
- all presentation timestamps fall within the range specified in the
first moof of the sequence

If this is agreeable, I'll prepare the PR.

See https://github.com/w3c/media-source/issues/7