Re: Custom and extending CDM to support other DRM systems

On 2015.02.08. 0:48, Mark Watson wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2015, at 1:09 PM, János Barta <bartakok@gmail.com
> <mailto:bartakok@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> On 2015.02.07. 18:39, Mark Watson wrote:
>>>

>>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> I would have no objection to such an initiative. But someone has to
>>> take the initiative to create and generate interest in such an
>>> activity and I am not sure who that would be.
>>>
>>> However, I am not sure that it is possible to offer the security and
>>> privacy properties required by the specification based only on the
>>> information flow across the boundary, so long as some of that
>>> information is in DRM-specific, undisclosed, form.
>>>
>>> The sandboxes being employed by some UAs certainly try to do the
>>> best job possible there, but UAs still need to know more than that
>>> to be sufficiently confident of the properties of the entire system.

>>> I think some people would consider this a return to the bad old days
>>> of different ActiveX controls for each site. One of the primary
>>> motivations for EME from our point of view is that the user is no
>>> longer asked to install something: they choose their browser and
>>> with that they get all the capabilities they need.
>>>
>> Why do we need to return to the bad old days? I hope we learned from
>> past mistakes and we would be able to prepare a better solution.
>> Regarding the mentioned primary motivation of EME: considering the
>> scandal around user privacy probably it would make sense to
>> reconsider it. (Sometimes, it is better to ask consent than believe
>> that silence gives permission. )

>>> You should hunk about it from the users' point of view too, or
>>> first. How do installable site-specific CDMs benefit users ?
>>>
>> Yes, definitely, I totally agree with you.
>> Option 1: browser-dependent service (except when the service provider
>> has a multi-KeyServer/DRM env.)
>>     -> please use/download this particular browser to access your
>> service site...
>> Option 2: cross-browser solution with downloadable CDMs
>>     -> you can use your favorite browser, but consent is needed to
>> download a necessary component
>>
>> Option2 sounds better to me.
>
> And to me option 1 sounds better because it is the option which allows
> us to avoid site-specific downloads. Yes, this comes at some cost to
> the service providers who must support multiple DRMs, but it is the
> service providers rather than the users who stand to benefit so surely
> they should bear the costs, rather than the users ?
>
> ...Mark

Which is the bigger trauma from the user point of view: if they need to
add a new component to their favorite browser or replace the whole UI
(even the OS as well in some cases )?
What about having a default pre-installed CDM which is replaceable in
case of need? Yes, there are open questions with the sandbox solution as
well (e.g.: protection of media player path) but I do believe that it is
a good direction.

-Jani