W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-media@w3.org > October 2014

{minutes} HTML WG media telecon 2014-10-14 EME status and bugs discussion

From: Joe Steele <steele@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 15:51:12 +0000
To: "<public-html-media@w3.org>" <public-html-media@w3.org>
Message-ID: <DCF74C6F-DAFC-498F-9D0A-0751D033EA62@adobe.com>
http://www.w3.org/2014/10/14-html-media-minutes.html

Joe Steele




HTML Media Task Force Teleconference

14 Oct 2014

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
BobLund, bevans, cpoole, ddorwin, geguchi, jamil, jdsmith, joesteele, pal, paulc
Regrets
markw
Chair
Paul Cotton
Scribe
paulc, joesteele
Contents

Topics
Outstanding EME bugs
Bug 25923 - The mechanism for checking key system support should be asynchronous
Bug 25966 - Use ArrayBufferView and ArrayBuffer instead of Uint8Array in APIs
Bug 26332 Applications should only use EME APIs on secure origins (e.g. HTTPS)
Bug 26776 Diagnosing and resolving CDM errors needs a numeric systemCode (deleted with MediaKeyError)
Bug 26887 Allowing license servers and CDMs to control data persistence and secure release
Bug 26738 Add entry for MPEG-2 TS CENC to the Stream Format Registry
Bug 26372 Report issues/events not related to a specific method call
Bug 26811 Separate definitions of Initialization Data Types from Stream Format parsing
Bug 26573 Prepare for Last Call
Bug 24771 Provide guidance on object and CDM lifetime (including when events are guaranteed to be fired)
Bug 26838 Normatively address vulnerabilities related to initData contained in media data
bug 25092 Need a way to inform script that resolution restrictions are applied
Bug 25268 Reduce the burden on applications to deduplicate initData from many needkey events
Bug 25217 Add ability to specify license domain for key requests
Bug 20944 EME should do more to encourage/ensure CDM-level interop
Bug 25434 Remove unsupported informative text in Abstract regarding OOB communication.
Bug 24082 Several issues discussed in the TF point to the need for defined extensibility points in EME
bug 23827 Need to add features at risk prior to entry into Candidate Recommendation
bug 24874 Positive isTypeSupported() may be misleading (MSE vs. .src=)
going forward
Summary of Action Items
<trackbot> Date: 14 October 2014
<paulc> EME bugs: https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&component=Encrypted%20Media%20Extensions&list_id=45497&product=HTML%20WG&query_format=advanced
<bevans> is me
<paulc> Regrets were received from Mark W: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2014Oct/0019.html
<paulc> Scribenick: paulc
EME bugs: https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&component=Encrypted%20Media%20Extensions&list_id=45497&product=HTML%20WG&query_format=advanced
Outstanding EME bugs

Bug 25923 - The mechanism for checking key system support should be asynchronous

Open issues that need to be discussed: https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=25923#c42
David is working is on the open issues and will request feedback when he makes more progress.
Bug 25966 - Use ArrayBufferView and ArrayBuffer instead of Uint8Array in APIs

https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=25966
This bug is editorial and David is awaiting IDL feedback due to a possible bug in IDL spec.
<joesteele> scribenick: joesteele
<scribe> chair: paulc
<paulc> EME bugs: https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&component=Encrypted%20Media%20Extensions&list_id=45497&product=HTML%20WG&query_format=advanced
Bug 26332 Applications should only use EME APIs on secure origins (e.g. HTTPS)

<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=26332
paulc: this is in the security related batch
<paulc> See also security item: Bug 26838 - Normatively address vulnerabilities related to initData contained in media data
paulc: other one in this batch is
<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=26838#c2
paulc: I would propose we continue discussing these
... and have at least these two on the agenda at the F2F and see if we can make progress
... any others for this batch?
... David?
ddorwin: don't think so
Bug 26776 Diagnosing and resolving CDM errors needs a numeric systemCode (deleted with MediaKeyError)

<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=26776
paulc: Jerry is on point?
jdsmith: yes -- proposal at F2F
Bug 26887 Allowing license servers and CDMs to control data persistence and secure release

jdsmith: we need to update based on comments from last week
<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=26887
paulc: let me add the minutes
Bug 26738 Add entry for MPEG-2 TS CENC to the Stream Format Registry

paulc: Bob Lund on point for this?
<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=26738
joesteele: Bob if you are speaking we can't hear you
ddorwin: 26811 is still blocked on this
<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=26811
<paulc> Bug 26811 - Separate definitions of Initialization Data Types from Stream Format parsing
paulc: David, can you give us the status of 26811?
ddorwin: lower priority, have not done anything recently
... I am on point
paulc: after this Bob Lund can do 26738?
ddorwin: yes
Bug 26372 Report issues/events not related to a specific method call

<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=26372
ddorwin: I will implement this proposal this week
paulc: then should be on next week or the F2F agenda
... is there actually a proposal?
ddorwin: the proposal was Map-like
paulc: looking for a comment to describe that
... but we have a clear indication of what to do
ddorwin: I am doing that
Bug 26811 Separate definitions of Initialization Data Types from Stream Format parsing

<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=26811
paulc: that status from above is here
... David is on point, lower priority
Bug 26573 Prepare for Last Call

<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=26573
paulc: editorial cleanup
ddorwin: on my list, low priority
Bug 24771 Provide guidance on object and CDM lifetime (including when events are guaranteed to be fired)

ddorwin: proposal was accepted - was waiting on respec
<paulc> Previously dependent on https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24322 (new objects and respec)
<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24771
Bug 26838 Normatively address vulnerabilities related to initData contained in media data

<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=26838
paulc: bakc to things that have not been worked on in awhile
ddorwin: added some text to this but left it open
... in case other things should be added
<paulc> Changes are outlined in https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=26838#c2
paulc: so we could discuss and possibly close at the F2F?
ddorwin: sure?
... could close now
bug 25092 Need a way to inform script that resolution restrictions are applied

<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=25092#c23 for recent history
paulc: looks like from comment 23 Mark has been talking to www-style about this
... Mark is not here
... what should we do if we do not hear back? has been a month?
joesteele: does anyone have direct contact with www-style?
jdsmith: think we still have a need - don't want to stream if client is downscaling
paulc: Mark Watson is on point and Paul I will follow up
Bug 25268 Reduce the burden on applications to deduplicate initData from many needkey events

<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=25268
ddorwin: we tried to fix, but we don't have a good proposal or idea yet
<paulc> See https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=25268#c6
paulc: who will lead the discussion at the F2F to outline this problem?
... one of the editors?
<paulc> tl;dr: The current solution is broken and does not help many applications.
ddorwin: not sure we will get any ideas at the F2F
paulc: that would be one route forward
... if folks come with proposals that would be better
jdsmith: David you opened this bug, do you want to keep it open
ddorwin: I am inclined to close this as well
paulc: that may happen at the F2F
Bug 25217 Add ability to specify license domain for key requests

<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=25217
joesteele: I think we can do this later -- I will ad a comment to that effect
paulc: we can mark as RESOLVE LATER later
Bug 20944 EME should do more to encourage/ensure CDM-level interop

paulc: this will obviously remain open -- no discussion since May
... we get flamed when we try to do something
... we will put on the F2F
... is this related to the TAG document?
ddorwin: same spirit, but not directly related
paulc: TAG is not meeting in Santa Clara, they had a recent F2F
<paulc> See http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2014Oct/0002.html
pal: I think part of the challened if that the TAG is very early in its thinking -- the document has fluctuated a lot
... once the doc has become more firm, it would be good for us to review this doc
paulc: Mark has done this and provided feedback
... he responded to Dominics comments
... composition of the TAG has changed as well since then
pal: it might be for entire group good to consider this
<scribe> ACTION: paulc to contact TAG and determine what their status is and whether we should review/comment [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/10/14-html-media-minutes.html#action01]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-66 - Contact tag and determine what their status is and whether we should review/comment [on Paul Cotton - due 2014-10-21].
pal: that works
Bug 25434 Remove unsupported informative text in Abstract regarding OOB communication.

paulc: about side channels
<scribe> ... no progress since May
ddorwin: editors closed this bug and it was reopened
<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=25434
paulc: does that mean the editors would like to figure out something new before the F2F?
ddorwin: there is a philosophical difference of opinion
Bug 24082 Several issues discussed in the TF point to the need for defined extensibility points in EME

<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24082
joesteele: very similar to interop bug in my opinion
paulc: have not come back to this in awhile
... this was opened by Adrian
... Jerry can you take an action to discuss this with him?
<scribe> ACTION: jdsmith to discuss bug 2082 with Adrian re - resolution [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/10/14-html-media-minutes.html#action02]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-67 - Discuss bug 2082 with adrian re - resolution [on Jerry Smith - due 2014-10-21].
bug 23827 Need to add features at risk prior to entry into Candidate Recommendation

<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=23827
paulc: looks administrative -- don't need to worry about that
<paulc> Administrative for entry to CR
bug 24874 Positive isTypeSupported() may be misleading (MSE vs. .src=)

<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24874
paulc: has not been touched since March
jdsmith: David has the only comment -- think we just need to make a decision - he has three options
paulc: David can we cue for F2F? Or is next week ok?
ddorwin: Jerry is right -- we just need to decide whether to solve. We have another option now based on how MediaKey get created -- bug 25923
<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=25923
ddorwin: I will update the bug with that info
going forward

paulc: we are in position to move forward on an number of these bugs, I suggest that we give people time to work on their action items and adjourn for the day
... editors, commenters, etc
... any comments?
... you will see a detailed agenda from me ahead of time
... ok, you can all have 20 min back
<paulc> good morning, everyone
Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: jdsmith to discuss bug 2082 with Adrian re - resolution [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/10/14-html-media-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: paulc to contact TAG and determine what their status is and whether we should review/comment [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/10/14-html-media-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]
Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)


Received on Tuesday, 14 October 2014 15:51:43 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 15:48:55 UTC