RE: Mozilla blog: DRM and the Challenge of Serving Users

From: John Foliot <john@foliot.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 18:45:11 -0700
To: "'John Sullivan'" <johns@fsf.org>
Cc: <public-html-media@w3.org>
John Sullivan wrote:

> Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com> writes:
>
> > See
> > https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/05/14/drm-and-the-challenge-of-
> serv
> > ing-users/ and
> > https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/05/reconciling-mozillas-mission-and-
> w3c
> > -eme/
> >

> FSF: http://www.fsf.org/news/fsf-condemns-partnership-between-mozilla-
> and-adobe-to-support-digital-restrictions-management
> Cory Doctorow:
> http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/14/firefox-closed-
> source-drm-video-browser-cory-doctorow
> EFF: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/05/mozilla-and-drm

What I don't understand is, given that there *are* Open Source browser
engines out there, why doesn't the FSF, EFF and Mr. Doctorow band together
and release their own, non DRM browser to the waiting millions who simply
cannot live with an EME enabled browser?

Talk is cheap y'all - why not actually do something beside whine in the
press, and blame the W3C for the power of market forces? Or chastising
Mozilla for accepting that without users, there is no money to make the
payroll (what, you think all those engineers at Mozilla work for unicorn
babies and rainbow dust?)

JF