W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-media@w3.org > February 2014

RE: {agenda} HTML WG media telecon 2014-02-04 - EME bug discussion

From: Petr Peterka <ppeterka@verimatrix.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 18:30:58 +0000
To: Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
CC: "public-html-media@w3.org" <public-html-media@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Petr Peterka <ppeterka@verimatrix.com>
Message-ID: <2A42B4EC40CB3745AD11314BB97DF05E2D66D6@VMX-EXCHANGE-02.verimatrix.com>
Hi Mark
How is the CDM provisioned in the first place? Or is that our of scope for EME? I assumed that the CDM would get this information (e.g. server certificate) during the initial provisioning.
          Thanks,
                   Petr

From: Mark Watson [mailto:watsonm@netflix.com]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2014 9:32 PM
To: Paul Cotton
Cc: public-html-media@w3.org
Subject: Re: {agenda} HTML WG media telecon 2014-02-04 - EME bug discussion

All,

Regarding bug 24025 (Add optional configuration parameter to MediaKeys constructor) there is a request for use-cases (actually on 24082). It seems something which might be quite common is the need for the CDM to be provided with a server certificate which would allow the CDM to encrypt its messages to a specific server. Amongst other things this has user privacy advantages.

I think this provides motivation for the proposal in 24025 and we might even want to consider whether the server certificate use-case should be explicitly supported in the specification.

...Mark

On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 7:35 PM, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com<mailto:Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>> wrote:
The HTML WG media teleconference meeting will occur on 2014-02-04 for up to 60 minutes from 15:00Z to 16:00Z.

http://timeanddate.com/s/2j4x

Tokyo midnight, Amsterdam/Oslo 17:00, London/Dublin 16:00, New Jersey/York 11:00, Kansas City 10:00, Seattle/San Francisco 08:00.

Chair of the meeting: Paul Cotton
Scribe: TBD

(See the end of this email for dial-in and IRC info.)

== Agenda ==

1. Roll call, introductions and selection of scribe

2. Previous meeting minutes
Jan 28: http://www.w3.org/2014/01/28-html-media-minutes.html

 3. Review of action items and issues
https://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/

a) ACTION-61: Work with wendy to make sure we get a security review [ Paul ]
https://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/61
Status: Paul reached out to Wendy again on Jan 23:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2014Jan/0056.html

b) ACTION-62: Report back about the plan for 20944 due 2013-12-15 [ Paul ]
https://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/62
Status: No action yet but see developments on 20944:
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=20944#c34
and subsequent replies.

c) ACTION-63 - Provide a proposal for bug 24207 to define the shape of cleankey pssh boxes [on John Simmons - due 2014-01-28].
https://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/63

4. EME status and bugs

a) Encrypted Media Extensions editor's draft
 http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/encrypted-media/encrypted-media.html
Last updated on Jan 27.

b) Encrypted Media Extensions bugs:
http://tinyurl.com/7tfambo
Status as of Feb 3: 22 bugs

c) EME heartbeat
Status: Awaiting candidate WD from Editors.

5. EME bug status
Note: Based on Adrian's bug status email:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2014Jan/0062.html

a) Bug 17202 - Explicitly document how keys are to be shared
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17202
Next action: David to make changes in comment 3
Status: Not yet implemented.

b) Bug 17673 - Define Initialization Data for implementations that choose to support the ISO Base Media File Format
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17673
Next action: TF to discuss David's proposal that Microsoft supports to change the string associated with needkey/createSession
Status from Jan 28 meeting:
- Item for David to split off is about whether isTypeSupported is insufficient
- Item for Adrian is to ask David Singer to review https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17673#c38

c) Bug 17682 - Clear Key: Document how keys and key IDs are associated
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17682
Next action: David to add note.
Status: Not yet implemented.

d) Bug 17750 - Define the behavior MediaKeySession close() and clearing the keys attribute
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17750
Next action: needs discussion about task handling

e) Bug 18515 - Provide more details on behavior of the media element when the key for an encrypted block is not available
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=18515
Status from Jan 28 meeting: Jerry to ask an Editor to implement.

f) Bug 20944 - EME should do more to encourage/ensure CDM-level interop
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=20944
Next action: ACTION-62 on Paul

g) Bug 21798 - Revisit MediaKeyError codes
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=21798
Status from Jan 28 meeting: Error codes and constants removed. New error names need to be proposed and added.

h) Bug 23619 - Change MediaKeyError to extend DOMError and use strings for error names
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=23619
Status from Jan 28 meeting: Adrian wanted more time to consider David's proposal in:
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=23619#c9

i) Bug 23827 - Need to add features at risk prior to entry into Candidate Recommendation
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=23827
Next action: wait until LC

j) Bug 23828 - HTMLSourceElement with |keySystem| attribute should create MediaKeys object for |keySystem|
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=23828
Next action: Adrian to make changes (low priority - see 23827)

k) Bug 24025 - Add optional configuration parameter to MediaKeys constructor
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24025
Next action: discuss as part of 24082 below. Tied to the general extensibilty issue.

l) Bug 24082 - Several issues discussed in the TF point to the need for defined extensibility points in EME
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24082
Next action: TF agreed that members need to propose use cases - not blocking and lower priority

m) Bug 24026 - Document that URLs (destinationURL) should/may be validated and/or normalized
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24026
Next action: David to add proposed text (to bug or spec)

n) Bug 24027 - Define a generic Initialization Data solution for ISO Base Media File Format and/or Common Encryption (will be used by Clear Key)
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24027
Next action: ACTION-63 on John to make proposal - there has been a proposal made by Pavel with comments from David
Status from Jan 28 meeting: Adrian suggested John should review Pavel's proposal.

o) Bug 24081 - The READY state is too limiting and should be more like the PENDING state
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24081
Next action: TF to discuss David's proposal (Microsoft is supportive)
Status from Jan 28 meeting: David to implement his proposal.

p) Bug 24216 - setMediaKeys() needs more specification
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24216
Next action: TF needs to review and discuss - I know Jerry is looking at this for Microsoft and waiting for feedback internally

q) Bug 24270 - Make MediaKeySession State Definitions and Event Summary sections non-normative
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24270
Next action: confirm we have consensus to make this change and then make it
Status from Jan 28: David made a partial change. "We should also make the Event Summary section non-normative."

r) Bug 24322 - Reorganize spec by object
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24322
Next action: significant editorial change just needs editing - not blocking

s) Bug 24323 - Rename "First Time a Key Reference is Encountered" algorithm and remove key ID checks from Container Guidelines subsections
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24323
Next action: Feedback needed from TF

t) Bug 24368 - Define playback behavior when the key for an encrypted block is not available for a subset of streams
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24368
Next action: Feedback needed from TF
Status from Jan 28 meeting: Jerry to review the proposal.

u) Bug 24381 - HTMLMediaElement.setMediaKeys() appears superfluous
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24381
Status from Jan 28 meeting: Adrian believes this is a duplicate but needs to find the original bug.

v) Bug 24419 - Clear Key: Define license request format
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=24419
Status from Jan 28 meeting:  Not discussed.

6. Any other business

7. Chair and Scribe for next meeting

8. Adjournment

== Dial-in and IRC Details ==

Zakim teleconference bridge:
   +1.617.761.6200<tel:%2B1.617.761.6200>, conference 63342 ("media")
https://www.w3.org/Guide/1998/08/teleconference-calendar#s_5366

Supplementary IRC chat (logged):
   #html-media on irc.w3.org<http://irc.w3.org> port 6665 or port 80 Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
17 Eleanor Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2E 6A3
Tel: (425) 705-9596<tel:%28425%29%20705-9596> Fax: (425) 936-7329<tel:%28425%29%20936-7329>

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
17 Eleanor Drive, Ottawa, Ontario K2E 6A3
Tel: (425) 705-9596 Fax: (425) 936-7329
Received on Wednesday, 5 February 2014 18:32:15 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 15:48:44 UTC