Re: Key distribution

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Casey Callaghan <caseyc37@gmail.com> wrote:
> (source: https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webtv/raw-file/tip/mpreq/cpreq.html)

Thank you for the reference to this document. I was not aware that
anything even resembling a purported requirement document for EME
existed in public. In fact, the URL you posted has never before been
posted to either this mailing list or public-html (either with the
https scheme or with the http scheme).

> This is a necessary corollary of the previously quoted statement; if servers
> are needed to view legally purchased content (even if only to obtain
> decryption keys), then the legally purchased content will be unavailable if
> and while said servers are down.

This assumes that EME would be used for cases where media is
supposedly "sold" or "purchased". Is anyone actually planning on using
EME for that case as opposed to using it for Netflix-like subscription
streaming, for rental implemented as time-limited online streaming
access (something that Voddler already does using HTML5 without DRM
for some movies) or for off-line rental where the offlining is
implemented using generic offlining primitives so that it looks like
streaming from the EME perspective?

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM, John Simmons <johnsim@microsoft.com> wrote:
> In addition to Mark’s comments, it is also important to note that many
> services permit the use of “persistent” licenses, which are stored on the
> device - or embedded in the content itself - so that the user does not need
> to be online to consume the content.

Are embedded licenses in any way relevant to EME, though? If no
communication with a license server after obtaining the media file is
needed, it seems to me that the API surface provided by EME is not
needed. That is, embedded licenses could already be supported in HTML5
video as if the DRM scheme was yet another proprietary codec without

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 11:39 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
> If you wish to sell a perpetual right to use a piece of content that is
> later independent of the operation of any particular infrastructure, then as
> John pointed out, you can use EME to deliver a perpetual license and then
> have the license stored by the user, with the content.

Where "perpetual" means "for the lifetime of clients for the DRM scheme", right?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi