Re: Key distribution

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 8:10 AM, B. Ross Ashley <brashley46@tfnet.ca> wrote:

> [...]
> provider's servers ever go offline.
>
>  This can be mitigated, to some degree, with multiply redundant servers or
> cloud computing. However, these solutions may be expensive and are unlikely
> to be kept running when it would be unprofitable to do so (for example,
> when the sales of a given piece of media have ended; possibly after an
> interval after that ending). This could also be impractical for smaller
> content providers, without large budgets.
>
>  Therefore, in order to resolve this, I would like to propose for
> consideration the following idea (based on the serverless encryption scheme
> for Bitcoin):
>
>  - that, when a user purchases legal access to a given piece of media, a
> message (signed with the content provider's private key) must be sent to
> all clients informing them of this purchase;
>  - that all clients may (and are indeed encouraged to) keep a record of
> all such messages from all providers;
>  - that any client, in possession of both the signed message from the
> content provider (verified by means of the content provider's public key)
> giving a given user legal permission to view certain media, and the data
> required to decrypt that media (either the CDM or the key obtained from the
> same content provider), may provide either the CDM, or the key, or both to
> the user on authorised request.
>  - that any client which does so must inform the content provider's server
> and all other clients of such access, if the key is limited in any way.
>
>  In this way, a DRM server going offline does not prevent a user from
> viewing content to which they purchased a valid license before the server
> went offline. This appears to be a necessary consequence of the stated aims
> of this standard.
>

>  You are making an assumption that the legal rights purchased are
> perpetual and independent of the continued operation of the service from
> which they are purchased.
>
>  This may not be true in all cases and indeed may never be true for
> exactly the reasons you give above.
>
>  For example, in the case of Netflix, the legal right to watch the
> content extends for only 8 hours or until the Netflix client application is
> closed, whichever is sooner. After that the right must be requested again
> and this is only possible if Netflix servers are still operating and you
> are still a subscriber.
>
>  I would agree that the mechanism above is an interesting concept for
> perpetual, service-independent rights, but support for this case is not one
> of our requirements (as discussed in the bug titled 'EME depends on servers
> with a finite life' - I don't have the number to hand).
>
>  ...Mark
>
>   Casey
>
>  So: if, as a content provider, one wishes to sell, rather than lease
> access to, a copy of one's own work, one cannot depend on this scheme to
> protect one's rights, as one's right to sell rather than lease is not

If you wish to sell a perpetual right to use a piece of content that is
later independent of the operation of any particular infrastructure, then
as John pointed out, you can use EME to deliver a perpetual license and
then have the license stored by the user, with the content.

As far as I can see, the only reason you would need to go back to the
license servers every time (as Casey assumed), for content where you have
been sold ongoing rights, is to check and re-check that the device is
authorized. Which you only need to do if that authorization status might
change (i.e. device revocation).

So, what is not supported by EME is the ability to revoke devices, combined
with the idea of a perpetual license which provides continuing access after
the service goes offline. I would hazard that reconciling these two things
is extremely difficult. Perhaps Casey's idea is on the path, but I think it
would be extremely complex to levitate a sufficiently trusted distributed
network, such that it would reliably check device authorization and only
skip that part in the case that the original service really is no longer
extant.

So, perpetual, service-independent licenses stored at the client are
supported and re-checking device authorization on every playback is
supported, but not both together.

...Mark