Re: [MSE] New Proposal for Bug 20901

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 10:39 AM, Aaron Colwell <acolwell@google.com> wrote:

> *Use Case B: Appending media into a continuous sequence w/o knowledge of
> internal timestamps.*
>  Some applications want to create a presentation by concatenating media segments
> from different sources without knowledge of the timestamps inside the segments.
> Each media segment appended should be placed, in the presentation timeline,
> immediately after the previously appended segment independent of what the
> internal timestamps are. At the beginning of each media segment, a new
> timestampOffset value is calculated so that the timestamps in the media segment
> will get mapped to timestamps that immediately follow the end of the previous
> media segment.
>
> *Use Case C: Place media at a specific location in the timeline w/o
> knowledge of internal timestamps.*
>  This is related to Use Case B. This case is useful for placing media
> segments from a third party in the middle of a presentation. It also
> allows an application that receives media segments from a live source to
> easily map the first segment received to presentation time 0.

Maybe for these two use-cases it would be more convenient to create a
first-class API for seamlessly chaining together resources (or subsegments
of resources) loaded from several independent media elements? Over a year
ago I prototyped a MediaStreams-based API for doing this, but there are
other ways to do it too --- anything that lets an author say "play this
element for T1 seconds, seamlessly followed by this other element for T2
seconds" etc. If it lets the application avoid manipulating buffers of
compressed data, this style of API would be much more convenient than using
MSE for those use-cases.

Rob
--
q“qIqfq qyqoquq qlqoqvqeq qtqhqoqsqeq qwqhqoq qlqoqvqeq qyqoquq,q qwqhqaqtq
qcqrqeqdqiqtq qiqsq qtqhqaqtq qtqoq qyqoquq?q qEqvqeqnq qsqiqnqnqeqrqsq