From: Hugo Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@bodewig.tel]
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 12:17 AM
To: public-html-media@w3.org
Subject: EME and DRM

Recent exposures of the wholesale spying by  the NSA and the subsequent banning by the American military of access to the websites reporting on this (e.g. The Guardian) should be sufficient reason to oppose ANYTHING that can be used to restrict access over a medium that should be FREE.
I also wonder why a few corporations should have it in their power to decide what gets written into the browsers. Much ado is always made about democracy, so let's have a vote on this issue.
Corporations that use the internet to make money should pay for it. If I go to the cinema, for instance, I pay not only for the film I see but also for the maintenenance of equipment, building and furniture. Corporations that now want to take over this function by showing their goods over the internet should pay to the community for this use.
On the technical aspect; surely the corporations interested in selling their services can do so by a simple set-top box, or even incorporate it into a modem, so that I have control over from whom and at what price I buy their offering. And not sit with a browser that has been modified to control access to what I can see.

Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen /
Meilleures salutations/ Cordiali Saluti / 此致敬意
Sinceramente seu / تفضلوا بقبول فائق الاحترام

Dr. H. Bodewig
Project Control
PO Box 610
0043 Faerieglen - Pretoria, RSA