W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-media@w3.org > July 2013

HTML WG Media teleconference 2013-07-02 - EME status and bug discussion

From: John Simmons <johnsim@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 16:03:52 +0000
To: Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, "public-html-media@w3.org" <public-html-media@w3.org>
Message-ID: <dd42436e7aef44b2a82495e128ac6b19@BY2PR03MB042.namprd03.prod.outlook.com>
Minutes: http://www.w3.org/2013/07/02-html-media-minutes.html


- DRAFT -

HTML Media Task Force Teleconference

02 Jul 2013

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Regrets
Chair
Paul Cotton
Scribe
John Simmons
Contents

Topics
1. Roll call, introductions and selection of scribe
2. Previous meeting minutes
3. Review of action items and issues
4. EME status and bugs
open bugs
Summary of Action Items
<trackbot> Date: 02 July 2013
scribenic johnsim
<adrianba> ScribeNick: johnsim
<adrianba> Scribe: John Simmons
1. Roll call, introductions and selection of scribe

2. Previous meeting minutes

noted
3. Review of action items and issues

noted
4. EME status and bugs

<paulc> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/encrypted-media/encrypted-media.html was updated on Jul 2
<paulc> http://tinyurl.com/7tfambo now indicates 19 bugs
<adrianba> ACTION-10?
<trackbot> ACTION-10 -- Adrian Bateman to discuss bug 21855 with johnsim -- due 2013-06-11 -- PENDINGREVIEW
<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/10
c) ACTION-10: Discuss bug 21855 with johnsim (Adrian and John S) https://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/10 DONE. See: https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=21855#c5
Adrianba: waiting on feedback on the discussion two weeks ago whether people agree with this proposal
... has David had time to think about this and proposal on events and lifetime of a session, but feedback from anyone is welcome
Task force members are requested to look at comment 5 and provide feedback
<adrianba> close ACTION-10
<trackbot> Closed ACTION-10 Discuss bug 21855 with johnsim.
<paulc> Paul to carry this item forward if no review is done by the next meeting.
<adrianba> ACTION-13?
<trackbot> ACTION-13 -- Adrian Bateman to review comments and add text to editor's draft for bug 19009 -- due 2013-06-25 -- PENDINGREVIEW
<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/13
Adrianba: work done on this, this morning
<adrianba> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=19009
<adrianba> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/rev/f4d8dc9bdacc
paulc: can be closed because text is in the editors draft
<adrianba> close ACTION-13
<trackbot> Closed ACTION-13 Review comments and add text to editor's draft for bug 19009.
<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=19009 is marked as RESOLVED FIXED
<adrianba> ACTION-17?
<trackbot> ACTION-17 -- Adrian Bateman to provide feedback on keySystem string bugs 16540 and 20798 -- due 2013-05-28 -- CLOSED
<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/17
<adrianba> ACTION-20?
<trackbot> ACTION-20 -- Adrian Bateman to implement bugs 16540 and 20798 per the suggestion in ACTION-17 -- due 2013-06-25 -- PENDINGREVIEW
<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/20
adrianba: created new action 20 and action 17 is closed
<adrianba> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16540
adrianba: action 20 is pending review, done in draft and can be closed as well
<adrianba> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=20798
<adrianba> close ACTION-20
<trackbot> Closed ACTION-20 Implement bugs 16540 and 20798 per the suggestion in ACTION-17.
<adrianba> ACTION-19?
<trackbot> ACTION-19 -- John Simmons to will work with adrianba and jdsmith to make a proposal for bug 21854 -- due 2013-06-04 -- PENDINGREVIEW
<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/19
<paulc> See https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=21854#c9
adrianba: summary: this was the proposal we made on the last call, discussed two weeks ago, discussions are clarifications on the proposal
... with the state model for the session and related to the previous bug associated with action-10 - waiting for hopefully support so we can put that into the spec - if someone has a counter-proposal that is what we are waiting for
... made the proposal on the morning of the call - hoping by now people will have thought about it and have some thoughts
ddorwin: haven't had a chance, but will after the July 4th holiday in the US
<adrianba> close ACTION-19
<trackbot> Closed ACTION-19 Will work with adrianba and jdsmith to make a proposal for bug 21854.
paulc: mark action done and carry bug forward
<paulc> Paul will carry this bug discussion forward to the next meeting (if it is not resolved).
open bugs

<paulc> http://tinyurl.com/7tfambo now indicates 19 bugs
paulc: nominate bugs to discuss?
<paulc> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17203 depends on https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17199 currently
<paulc> Adrian wonders if we could simply resolve 17203 independent of 17199
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17203
adrianba: discussion was over what period of time you need uniqueness
... of the browser session, not necessarily the key session
proposal is to unhook 203 from 199
ACTION on adrianba to resolve 203 independent from 199
<trackbot> Error finding 'on'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/users>.
<adrianba> ACTION: adrianba to resolve 17203 independent from 17199 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/02-html-media-minutes.html#action01]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-24 - Resolve 17203 independent from 17199 [on Adrian Bateman - due 2013-07-09].
<ddorwin> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17673
ddorwin: discussion to clean up text to fix ISO section - looking for help from those who know more about ISO than me
... there are corner cases which i could not figure out how to handle
paulc: outstanding items?
ddorwin: attempted to fill in from the text in the bug comments and found problems (edge cases)
<paulc> ACTION: ddorwin and John S to work on corner cases for bug 17673 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/02-html-media-minutes.html#action02]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-25 - And John S to work on corner cases for bug 17673 [on David Dorwin - due 2013-07-09].
paulc: signing off at this point - perhaps David or Adrian could take over for rest of call
<adrianba> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16616
ddorwin: we settled on option 2, which is needkey event fired - so we can resolve this
<adrianba> RESOLUTION: Bug 16616 is already fixed in the document
<adrianba> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=19096
adrianba: suggestion to add a type attribute
johnsim: would there be different initdata formats for the same MIME type
ddorwin: don't think so
adrianba: in general, likely a basic mime type would be sufficient, conceivable parameters to the MIME type that could impact on InitData format
... but that string could be passed here
... is it sufficient to say video webm or do we need to include parameters - no need to include in normative text
... a relatively simple change. Steven's proposal is what I outlined so i would be happy to draft the change and next time see if there are any objections and then apply to spec - or i could
... make the change and see if there are objections
ddorwin: lets just make the change - pretty simple
<adrianba> ACTION: adrianba to implement bug 19096 in the editor's draft [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/02-html-media-minutes.html#action03]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-26 - Implement bug 19096 in the editor's draft [on Adrian Bateman - due 2013-07-09].
<adrianba> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=19156
adrianba: i made a suggestion we add text - 19009 - the comments we discussed previously that the media key session might not be active until you call setmediakey
ddorwin: we can address this one now
<adrianba> RESOLUTION: bug 19156 has been addresses in the current document
<ddorwin> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17750
ddorwin: current plan is to go into spec and see what is missing
adrianba: for this one, our take was that we were trying to do a bit more research - under what circumstances "close" might be needed
... as part of the discussion for session events, because - besides key release process - the central question here is
... is there a circumstnace when the application knows more about the lifetime of a key should be than the CDM
... so that it would be helpful for the application to call "close"
... if there is a legitimate case where the application knows more, than the ability to call close would be a useful thing to do.
... I believe Joe indicated he was opposed to the application being able to do this
... not clear this is something we can say is "optional". It may be a hint or suggestion from the application that the CDM could make the key go away
ddorwin: adrian, could you capture that information in the bug?
adrianba: yes
<adrianba> ACTION: adrianba to add comments to bug 17750 summarising the recent discussion of close [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/02-html-media-minutes.html#action04]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-27 - Add comments to bug 17750 summarising the recent discussion of close [on Adrian Bateman - due 2013-07-09].
<ddorwin> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=18515
ddorwin: most recent conversation has focused on the element - not sure if the current state machine for mediakeys is related
adrianba: i believe we would be in the "pending" state
... that state is designed to suggest you could reach an encyrpted block without the key, that is the diff
ddorwin: media element needs to be discussed separately from readystate of mediakey session
... you could actually not have a mediakeys object
adrianba: we need to think about this one
... propose we adjourn here
Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: adrianba to add comments to bug 17750 summarising the recent discussion of close [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/02-html-media-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: adrianba to implement bug 19096 in the editor's draft [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/02-html-media-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: adrianba to resolve 17203 independent from 17199 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/02-html-media-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: ddorwin and John S to work on corner cases for bug 17673 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/02-html-media-minutes.html#action02]

[End of minutes]


John C. Simmons

Media Platform Architect

(425) 707-2911 x72911

(425) 269-5759 mobile

johnsim@microsoft.com
Received on Tuesday, 2 July 2013 16:06:23 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 15:48:39 UTC