Re: EME FPWD CfC is closed

[Replying to HTML Media, as I don't think this belongs on the admin list, does it?]

On Feb 12, 2013, at 16:13 , Fred Andrews <fredandw@live.com> wrote:

> There are people on this list with a strong view in support of DRM.
>
> I even sympathize with their position: not restricting user choice to
> use DRM. Those arguing against integrating DRM into HTML need to
> have a good answer to this concern.  My current position is to point
> out the negatives for every one of integrating DRM, and to plead
> with them to please just use a separate app. or hardware.

I must admit to be having a hard time working out what exactly the objection/alternative is.  I agree with Robin; I don't know anyone who 'likes' DRM -- it's a pain in the neck for everyone concerned.  It's just that viable alternatives are hard to find.

> > The question that lies open before us is: given that DRM exists, should
> > it be implemented through proprietary plugins or should it be possible
> > to hook it somehow into the open web platform?
>
> The other obvious alternative is to simply use an external native application.

OK, so you are OK with copyrighted protected content existing, you just don't want it accessible using web technologies.  I think that you are relegating the web to be a rather impoverished environment if 'valuable' content is kept away.  Kinda like a news-stand that only stocks free newspapers -- if you want the New York Times, you have to go elsewhere.  That's not a great place to go for a broad choice.

And the existence of valued, protected content, in no way impedes your ability to build free content into the web, either.  It's not that it's "in your way".

> Most web users can live without DRM, and are better off to quarantine
> it in dedicated hardware, or a separate native app. if they insist.

I think making choices for all the users of the internet as to what they can access is a pretty big step.  I, for example, don't watch broadcast television, but I would be hesitant to try to impose that it doesn't belong on the public airwaves.

David Singer