RE: Action-219: Draft Response to MSE on Bug 23661

From: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 16:22:34 +0000
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
CC: "public-html-media@w3.org" <public-html-media@w3.org>
On Wednesday, December 18, 2013, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On 12/18/2013 07:53 AM, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:
> > HTML is expected to return to Last Call. MSE is not, as far as I am aware.
>
> I just want to make sure I understand.
>
> Just to be clear, you are *NOT* making the case that MSE is the correct
> place to levy this requirement, did I get this correct?
>
> Others, in fact, are making the case that the HTML specification the
> right place for this requirement.
>
> And, if I am reading you correctly, you would be fine if this
> requirement was satisfied in the HTML specification, as long as MSE were
> published after HTML.
>
> Note: I am not suggesting that MSE wait.  I am merely trying to
> understand what your position is.

MSE has a normative dependency on the HTML5 media element. Since it
is an extension spec, it seems strange to consider it proceeding ahead of
HTML5.

Note: It is entirely possible, and with the current state of affairs likely,
that MSE will return for a brief Last Call to resolve the outstanding Stream
dependency once the Stream API settles down.
We discussed this at TPAC: http://www.w3.org/2013/11/14-html-wg-minutes.html#item01

Cheers,

Adrian.