Re: Chromebook DRM specification

From: Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:22:46 -0700
To: Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com>
Cc: Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, "Mays, David" <David_Mays@comcast.com>, David Dorwin <ddorwin@google.com>, "<public-html-media@w3.org>" <public-html-media@w3.org>, "Philippe Le Hegaret (plh@w3.org)" <plh@w3.org>, "Michael(tm) Smith (mike@w3.org)" <mike@w3.org>
On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Florian Bösch <pyalot@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
>
>> We don't have any requirement that all browsers/devices implement the
>> same DRM. This isn't like video codecs. As long as they all support the
>> same encryption format (for example ISO Common Encryption as described in
>> the specification or WebM encryption) we can deliver the same files to all
>> devices with the same interaction model (as defined by the specification).
>> There's some per-DRM back end work, but this is manageable and a great
>> improvement on what we have today.
>>
> Aquiring a license from every DRM vendor is not feasible for web authors.
> Contacting Widevine alone is also not feasible to not being contactable.
> Hence HTML-DRM excludes web authors.

What you're saying is that using DRM for your content is difficult. But no
authors are required to use DRM by this specification and I believe many
people do not wish to do so. Those authors who wish to use DRM, but aren't
in a position to pay for DRM licenses or implement back-end services with
multiple DRM servers are indeed excluded, *by the existing DRM landscape*,
not by anything we are proposing. As Glenn and I have repeatedly pointed
out, the Encrypted Media Extensions are intended to support multiple DRMs
and don't define a specific "HTML-DRM".