Re: how does EME/DRM effect captioning

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 04:32:38 -0600
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html-media@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 4:18 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 7:24 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 2:45 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
> >> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
>
> > The W3C should not ignore real word use cases. And delivery via MPEG-2
> is a
> > real-world use case.
>
> Delivery via MPEG-2 is not a use case. It's a potential solution for
> addressing a use case.

No. It's a use case based on the fact that the greatest part (>99%?) of
broadcast video and DVD video is using MPEG-2.

> Which browsers currently implement MPEG-2 without DRM in HTML5 video?

Hmm, let's see, there are Samsung Smart TVs, LG TVs, Sony TVs, .... I'm not
sure where the list stops.

> Which one intend to? What about with DRM?

You are asking me to declare the intentions of HTML5 enabled TV
Manufacturers? Feel free to contact them directly and let us know the
results of your research.

> Which content providers currently serve MPEG-2 in an HTML5-based
> player?

Every commercial video service provider I am familiar with.

> Which ones intend to? What about with DRM?

A better question would be whether and when they intend to use something
other than MPEG-2?

> To address what use
> cases? Why with a codec that needs more bandwidth than either H.264 or
> VP8 and that comes with a less favorable licensing regime?

There is something called legacy systems.

> > Currently shipping EME prototypes have no necessary bearing on what is
> > eventually required or shipped.
>
> To the extend video services target EME on Chrome OS, indications of
> requirements can be inferred.

Requirements yes. Specifics no. An existing requirement by commercial video
providers is to use MPEG-2 if possible, and if not possible, then other
codecs can be considered, including those you have mentioned.