Re: EME and timed text

From: Pierre-Anthony Lemieux <pal@sandflow.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 07:50:35 -0700
To: public-html-media@w3.org
Couple of thoughts on EME and timed text following up on our last call.

- requirements for captions can be different from other kinds of timed
text, e.g. subtitles and karaoke. I am not convinced the possibility
of encrypted timed text can be excluded.

- the (proposed) MPEG Part 30 allows carriage of timed text (WebVTT
and TTML) as part of the media data. Shouldn't EME apply in that case?
If not why? If yes, the following note in EME probably needs to be
revised: "Q: Can I encrypt captions / <track> elements? A: No, this
proposal only supports decrypting audio and video that are part of the
media data."

Looking forward to the discussion.

Best,

-- Pierre