Re: RDFa in HTML vs XHTML

(Henri, question for you embedded in here: aside from the movement of <link> and <meta> which we know about, is being a valid HTML5 document enough to avoid unanticipated movement of elements that might result in changes to a publisher's intended microdata/RDFa/microformats?)

On 12 Nov 2011, at 00:58, Toby Inkster wrote:
> A better example, which, although invalid, should be accepted but
> interpreted differently under HTML and XML parsers is:

> An HTML parser will lift the <p> element out of the table and place it
> as a child of the <div> (IIRC it will be inserted prior to the <table>)
> because <p> is not an allowed child of <table>.
>
> So in HTML+RDFa will get:
>
> 	<> dc:title "Hello World" .
> 	# and no triples about <#me>
>
> And in XHTML+RDFa:
>
> 	<#me> dc:title "Hello World" .
> 	# and no triples about <>
>
> Yay, fun. :-)

It looks as though this is something that hits microdata too. If you have:

then the same re-jigging of the content causes the 'title' property to be associated with #foo rather than #bar.

I think this is probably worth documenting in the section on Good Publishing Practice [1] in the wiki. Is it enough to say that documents should be valid HTML(+RDFa/microdata) to avoid the potential for the movement of properties?

> What other fun ones can I think of...?

> 	  <h1 property="dc:title">Hello World</h1>
>
> Anyone want to guess the subject URI for the two triples when processed
> as HTML? Hint: it ain't <#foo>.

So this one expands to:

    <head></head>
      <h1 property="dc:title">Hello World</h1>

and because the <body> has no @about attribute, the title and description are about the base URI for the document rather than #foo, right?

(Hmm, validator.nu shows

 <!DOCTYPE html>
  <h1>Hello World</h1>

as a valid HTML5 document despite it not having a <body> element, but perhaps that's a validator.nu bug…)

Cheers,

Jeni

[1] http://www.w3.org/wiki/Choosing_an_HTML_Data_Format#Good_Publishing_Practice
--