Re: Accept atribute on forms and links

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 5:59 PM, Cameron Jones <cmhjones@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 3:58 PM, Jose Antonio Illescas del Olmo <
> jose.illescas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anchors are GETing resources, resources has many representations (html,
>> pdf, png, txt)
>>
>>    I would like to request custom representation (for example pdf) on
>> link or form without using the ugly extension mechanism (*.pdf)
>>

>> And rely on server content negotiation... yes also I like to specify a
>> list of preferred representations (not only one)
>>
>>    image/png, image/jpg, image/gif, image/svg-xml  (this is my list of
>> preferred representations, or mime-types, and I don't like any other image
>> format)
>>

> One problem with this is that the URL will no longer work if it is outside
> of the original document. For forms this is ok, but people expect links to
> just work.

Why?

On my application every resource has an PDF representation, if not,
received a response error

      406 - Not Acceptable (Representation not available)

Or, if server not has, this representation can server default
representation (*/*)

> Content negotiation is supposed to be for client software to advertise
> what formats it supports so that the server can provide suitable content
> which can be displayed by the host software.

Content-negotiation is on server side (and displayed on client side)

> It's not really meant for authors to declare what content they want
> requested - if you already know the distinct resource you want to
> reference, you should just link to it. Then the client will either support
> the format and display it, or not and offer it for download.

Same URL offers multiple representations (I don't like multiples URLs for
same resource, based on their representation):

    http://server.com/account/12345  (can be represented as XML, JSON and
downloaded as PDF for example)

    I think multiples URLs, for same resource, is very ugly

     · http://server.com/account/12345.htm
     · http://server.com/account/12345.xml
     · http://server.com/account/12345.json
     · http://server.com/account/12345.pdf

> Overloading resource URLs on the server and overriding Accept headers on
> every link goes against some basic web principals.

I override "accept" header only on some links (when I request concrete
representation) by default every link uses browser default headers