Re: Accept atribute on forms and links

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 3:58 PM, Jose Antonio Illescas del Olmo <
jose.illescas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anchors are GETing resources, resources has many representations (html,
> pdf, png, txt)
>
>    I would like to request custom representation (for example pdf) on link
> or form without using the ugly extension mechanism (*.pdf)
>

> And rely on server content negotiation... yes also I like to specify a
> list of preferred representations (not only one)
>
>    image/png, image/jpg, image/gif, image/svg-xml  (this is my list of
> preferred representations, or mime-types, and I don't like any other image
> format)

One problem with this is that the URL will no longer work if it is outside
of the original document. For forms this is ok, but people expect links to
just work.

Content negotiation is supposed to be for client software to advertise what
formats it supports so that the server can provide suitable content which
can be displayed by the host software.

It's not really meant for authors to declare what content they want
requested - if you already know the distinct resource you want to
reference, you should just link to it. Then the client will either support
the format and display it, or not and offer it for download.

Overloading resource URLs on the server and overriding Accept headers on
every link goes against some basic web principals.

Cameron