Re: Microdata as W3C Note vs. W3C Rec.

Clint Hill wrote:
> I've not heard compelling arguments for why Microdata doesn't deserve to be a CR, rather I've only heard protectionism.

It's not that Microdata doesn't deserve to be a CR, or that RDFa needs
protected.

Rather, it's that there are *needlessly* two specifications when one
will easily suffice.

If RDFa were dropped and Microdata was the only Rec, I'd be fine with
that (caveat: it needs some changes to handle some valid and useful uses).

However, the case is that there already exists a W3C recommendation
which handles all the use cases, those Microdata supports, and those it
doesn't. A spec which is more mature at v 1.1, one which has had
extensive feedback (including from the author of Microdata and most
people with any interest in metadata in HTML and beyond), and one which
has had exponentially more people investing exponentially more time in
to it.

This is why I personally would suggest that W3C sticks to providing a
well defined standard way to do metadata in html. Interoperability is key.

Consider if you will the following scenario:
Two giant web companies, one which supports RDFa in HTML, and one which
supports Microdata - now it's very valuable for page authors to add
metadata in the attributes for these companies to consume, as each one
delivers a large portion of their traffic and in turn revenue.

Now imagine the HTML document, say for a simple Product ... with *both*
Microdata and RDFa.

It's that awful that most people reading this will discount it and say
that won't happen.. but this is exactly what happens when you don't
provide a standard way to do things, this is why we have standards.

Best,

Nathan