 From: Seth Call <sethcall@gmail.com>
To: Jason H <scorp1us@yahoo.com>
Cc: Cameron Jones <cmhjones@gmail.com>; Arthur Clifford <art@artspad.net>; "public-html-comments@w3.org" <public-html-comments@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2012 11:02 AM
Subject: Re: Securing Password Inputs

There is no such thing as moving security to the browser, because it is a client-side application.  If you disagree, OK,  go right ahead... but  this is a server-side mindset and I'd assert you will never, ever win that argument with security-minded folks.

If you want to make it easy to implement server-side code, then by all means contribute to bcrypt (or other good password encryption technology), or language/framework adoption of it.

But in the context of HTML5 and browsers, I can only recommend:

Make end users aware of the importance of passwords. This is the basis of my suggestion, earlier in the thread, on making a standardized way to give users feedback on the strength of their password.

They might be cagey, but they are completely absent in implementation in the storage routines of user credentials for most sites.