Re: Fulscreen Tag Proposal

Any solution that requires creating another window and opening a new
document would create a lot of issues that would not compare favorably with
any current popular web video plugin (Flash, Silverlight, etc). It would not
be a very seemless transition. The <video> resource from the parent page may
have downloaded hundreds of MB of data and then the new window would make a
new separate request for the same resource. Certainly the browsers could try
to aggressively cache video content for these situations but even that
wouldn't work in all cases (any HTTP connection that doesn't allow byte
range requests, e.g. HTTP 1.0), and it probably would not work very well for
resource constrained devices such as smartphones and tablets. This type of
hand-off would have to happen every time the user switched between
fullscreen and embedded mode as well.

I think the goal should be to enable a way for the current browsing/viewing
session to change context into a "fullscreen" mode. This fullscreen context
still needs to support all of the typical HTML elements for things like
custom video player controls.

My thinking is that there should be some DOM attribute that would toggle a
chromeless/fullscreen browsing state similar to Firefox's read-only
window.fullscreen. The display of the page content including the video would
be controlled/determined using CSS/JavaScript. The "SublimeVideo HTML5 Video
Player" (http://jilion.com/sublime/video) is a great example of this type of
player. This fullscreen viewing is experience is very comparable to current
video plug-ins. All that is missing is that it can not remove the browser
chrome. Some work would have to happen to keep this from being abused but
that type of problem has already been solved in Flash and Silverlight and
similar rules (e.g. users must initiate the fullscreen mode) would apply.

Thoughts?

Paul Ellis
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/jpaulellis>