Re: Fulscreen Tag Proposal

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 1:20 AM, Paul Ellis <paul@ellisfoundation.com>wrote:

> Any solution that requires creating another window and opening a new
> document would create a lot of issues that would not compare favorably with
> any current popular web video plugin (Flash, Silverlight, etc). It would not
> be a very seemless transition. The <video> resource from the parent page may
> have downloaded hundreds of MB of data and then the new window would make a
> new separate request for the same resource. Certainly the browsers could try
> to aggressively cache video content for these situations but even that
> wouldn't work in all cases (any HTTP connection that doesn't allow byte
> range requests, e.g. HTTP 1.0), and it probably would not work very well for
> resource constrained devices such as smartphones and tablets. This type of
> hand-off would have to happen every time the user switched between
> fullscreen and embedded mode as well.

Just add an attribute called "source" to the <video> tag, which accepts the
ID of another <video> tag to display. This is just one of many possible
solutions to the reloading problem. There is no need to reload a video
twice.

> I think the goal should be to enable a way for the current browsing/viewing
> session to change context into a "fullscreen" mode. This fullscreen context
> still needs to support all of the typical HTML elements for things like
> custom video player controls.

But why would you need to reorganize a whole page just to display a simple
video? Unless you would have attributes regarding what happens in fullscreen
mode and what doesn't, like Daniel's idea.

> My thinking is that there should be some DOM attribute that would toggle a
> chromeless/fullscreen browsing state similar to Firefox's read-only
> window.fullscreen. The display of the page content including the video would
> be controlled/determined using CSS/JavaScript. The "SublimeVideo HTML5 Video
> Player" (http://jilion.com/sublime/video) is a great example of this type
> of player. This fullscreen viewing is experience is very comparable to
> current video plug-ins. All that is missing is that it can not remove the
> browser chrome. Some work would have to happen to keep this from being
> abused but that type of problem has already been solved in Flash and
> Silverlight and similar rules (e.g. users must initiate the fullscreen mode)
> would apply.
>
> Letting a page take over a screen is very problematic in terms of security.
You would probably need explicit permission for that using some kind of
alert. I completely agree that an attribute such as "window.fullscreen"
should be made writable to allow the current page to expand to the whole
screen, but for purposes of opening a new window with new content based on
the parent window, there are better solutions.

--
-- Ron