Re: Kanji reading

Ian Hickson wrote:
> How would you describe the image? Currently it is described as:
>
>    The two main ideographs, each with its kanji annotation rendered in a
>    smaller font above it.
>
> Should this be changed also? I've changed it to:
>
>    The two main ideographs, each with its hiragana annotation rendered in
>    a smaller font above it.
>
> Is that right?

"its hiragana annotation" is little strange for me.

"its ruby annotation in hiragana (a.k.a. furigana)" seems right one.

> How about the comment in the source? Right now it says:
>
>    <!-- this is the kanji for the word "kanji" ("chinese character") in japanese -->
>    <!-- in japanese, ruby-like typography is called "furigana" -->
>
> Is this wrong also? Should it be changed? What to? I've changed it to:
>
>    <!-- this is the hiragana for the word "kanji" ("chinese character") in japanese -->
>    <!-- in japanese, ruby-like typography is called "furigana" -->
>
> Is this right?

I can't understand what the comment want to say in first paragraph.

  this is "KA N JI" in hiragana for the word "kanji" (means "chinese character")
  in japanese?

Second is ok.

> On Sat, 5 Sep 2009, NARUSE, Yui wrote:
>> We Japanese call them "furigana".
>> "furi" means assign or attach.
>> "gana" means hira"gana" and kata"kana".
>> So "furigana" means attaching kanas to Kanji
>> (or some string need furigana).
>
> Yes, the typography is called furigana, but what is the actual reading in
> the example called? Is that also furigana, not hiragana?

We call "furigana" or "yomigana" ("yomi" means reading) or "ruby", not hiragana.

--
NARUSE, Yui  <naruse@airemix.jp>