Re: Kanji reading

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009, NARUSE, Yui wrote:

> 3.3 Ruby and Emphasis Dots
> http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/#en-subheading2_3
>
> This will help you.

It didn't really help, unfortunately. (It didn't answer my question, or
indicate what was wrong with the spec.)

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009, Gareth Rees wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > > Section 4.6.20, "The ruby element", says:
> > >
> > > The parallelism with "bopomofo reading" and "pinyin reading" in the
> > > second and third examples in this section implies that "kanji reading"
> > > is being used to mean "reading written in kanji". But in fact, the
> > > reading is written in hiragana.
> >
> > What should the example say? "hiragana reading"? I know nothing about
> > this, so I've no idea what the right label should be.
>
> I suggest "reading in hiragana".
>
> "Hiragana reading" implies that there are several types of reading, and
> a hiragana reading is one of them. But really there is only one reading
> (i.e. way to pronounce the word), but several different ways to write
> it. (Google backs me up on this: search results for "reading in
> hiragana" match this use, whereas search results for "hiragana reading"
> do not.)

Ok.

How would you describe the image? Currently it is described as:

   The two main ideographs, each with its kanji annotation rendered in a
   smaller font above it.

Should this be changed also? I've changed it to:

   The two main ideographs, each with its hiragana annotation rendered in
   a smaller font above it.

Is that right?

How about the comment in the source? Right now it says:

   <!-- this is the kanji for the word "kanji" ("chinese character") in japanese -->
   <!-- in japanese, ruby-like typography is called "furigana" -->

Is this wrong also? Should it be changed? What to? I've changed it to:

   <!-- this is the hiragana for the word "kanji" ("chinese character") in japanese -->
   <!-- in japanese, ruby-like typography is called "furigana" -->

Is this right?

> > Should the word "kanji" appear anywhere in the description?
>
> I think not.

Ok.

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009, NARUSE, Yui wrote:

> We Japanese call them "furigana".
> "furi" means assign or attach.
> "gana" means hira"gana" and kata"kana".
> So "furigana" means attaching kanas to Kanji
> (or some string need furigana).

Yes, the typography is called furigana, but what is the actual reading in
the example called? Is that also furigana, not hiragana?

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009, David Bailey wrote:

> Wikipedia offers some assistance here:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji#Pronunciation%20assistance
>
> "Because of the ambiguities involved, kanji sometimes have their
> pronunciation for the given context spelled out in ruby characters known
> as furigana, (small kana written above or to the right of the character)
> or kumimoji (small kana written in-line after the character). This is
> especially true in texts for children or foreign learners and manga
> (comics). It is also used in newspapers for rare or unusual readings and
> for characters not included in the officially recognized set of
> essential kanji."

I'm not sure how to apply this.