Re: CfC: to publish Encrypted Media Extensions specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:
>
>> I do expect URIs, image, media and font formats used on the Web to be
>> fully specified somewhere, and that is standard practice today.
>>

> And CDMs will be fully specified somewhere as well.

I certainly hope that's the case. If it is, then granting my objection is
hardly any concession at all.

>>>    - input method editors
>>>    - geolocation devices
>>>
>>>  These do not affect interop.
>>

> Yes they do.

Please explain how. I'm not aware of cases where specifying IME behavior
was needed to solve interop problems, even though I've worked on Mozilla
IME code in the past.

>> While it is reasonable to define a voluntary registry, it is not
>>> reasonable to require registration or to require that documentation be
>>> fully open. Who would enforce this even if it were defined?
>>>

>> Whoever maintains the registry.
>>

> No registry I'm aware of does such a thing. You are naive to believe it
> feasible.

For example, http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5226 defines IANA procedures for
setting up a registry, and supports placing requirements on submissions to
the registry. It explicitly identifies the option of a "Specification
Required" policy:

Values and their meanings must be documented in a permanent and readily
available public specification, in sufficient detail so that
interoperability between independent implementations is possible.

http://www.iana.org/protocols shows that this policy is very widely used.

Rob
--
Wrfhf pnyyrq gurz gbtrgure naq fnvq, “Lbh xabj gung gur ehyref bs gur
Tragvyrf ybeq vg bire gurz, naq gurve uvtu bssvpvnyf rkrepvfr nhgubevgl