Re: Oppose DRM ! Re: CfC: to publish Encrypted Media Extensions specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
>> > You seem to believe that favoring EME means favoring DRM. I don't
>> > believe
>> > that is true. That DRM is a possible application of EME does not make
>> > EME
>> > bad or wrong and more than use of HTML for porn makes HTML bad or wrong
>> > (for
>> > those that find porn morally wrong).
>>
>> The EME spec is fundamentally about allowing DRM.  Trying to pretend
>> that it's designed for anything else, even if there are nods to
>> additional uses in the spec, is simply dishonest.  Please stop.
>
> DRM is simply one application of EME. It is certainly not the only
> application. It is not dishonest to point out this fact; however, it is
> misleading for you to insist that it is the only application.

It is the *entire reason* this spec was originally drawn up, and it is
the clear impetus for many of the media company supports of this spec
to want to support it.  These companies don't give a crap about HTML
normally.  They're not suddenly interested out of a civic spirit,
they're interested because they think it'll earn them more money.
They might be right in the short term (though it's a loss in the long
term, as history and clear trends have shown us).

Media distributors are not interested in how to safely encrypt traffic
over the web.  They're interested in DRMing their videos.

~TJ