RE: Oppose DRM ! Re: CfC: to publish Encrypted Media Extensions specification as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD)

Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

> As discussed here some time ago the only purpose of this specification
> is to enable DRM, which is Defective by Design
> http://www.defectivebydesign.org/

I well appreciate that this is a politically charged issue, but there is a
clear business need for *something* by more than one W3C stake-holder
involved in this discussion. Not everyone will agree with the opinions of
http://www.defectivebydesign.org/ - a politically motivated organization -
and to drive this kind of web specification outside of the W3C is
counter-productive to the larger goal of the work we are doing here.

I urge others to read the following statement from the Daisy Consortium:
http://data.daisy.org/publications/docs/positionpapers/position_paper_protec
ting_content.html

Suggesting that content owners do not have a right to control the
distribution of their intellectual property may not fit with the political
views of some, but to ignore those legitimate business requirements is akin
to burying your head in the sand.

If you are concerned that this FPWD has technical holes, or you have an
alternative idea to satisfy that requirement, I urge you and others to
either a) provide further details on the technical problems, or b) start
your own alternative extension specification that meets the use-case
requirements. Throwing up our collective hands and declaring "DRM is evil"
is not the answer.

Cheers!

JF