Re: TextTrack API changes

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>wrote:

> Glenn,
>
> I am an editor of the HTML specification and while HTML5.1 is still an
> Editor's draft, I can make changes that address bugs and that I think will
> be implemented because they make sense, even if they are not backwards
> compatible. The particular change under discussion is one that you have
> yourself pursued to make the <track> element and TextTrack less dependent
> on WebVTT. The change that I applied to HTML5.1 supported that move.
>
> I am happy for the discussion that we have around the change, because it
> was suggested to backport that change to HTML5 (which, incidentally, hasn't
> happened yet). Changes to HTML5 that are not editorial are indeed more
> complicated, which is why I seeked WG feedback. This process has not been
> finished yet, so I don't understand why you are attacking me for the work
> that is done, diligently and thoroughly.

First, I am not attacking you. I am asking you to revert a change for which
there are objections. Yes, I support moving truly VTT specific APIs out of
TextTrackCue, but these two members are not VTT specific, and are written
in a manner to abstract the differences in actual text track format.

> While you and two others are now disagreeing with a part of the change
> that was made, Simon from Opera has agreed with that change. I want to
> continue this discussion until we find a consensus position. Providing
> specifications for TextTrackCue for other formats than WebVTT is part of
> that process.

You are suggesting that it is possible to find a consensus to make your
proposed change in the face of objections from members. I will suggest it
is not. You propose a backwards incompatible change. This is not something
that should be implemented in your editorial work in the face of member
objections. The correct option for you is to revert the change, then ask
the matter to be brought to the WG for consideration. After due
consideration, if the WG decides it is best to make this change, then it
will be made.

However, at this time, you appear to be attempting to usurp the role of the
WG in making substantive changes, which is not part of your role as editor.

> There are no change proposals involved at this stage - it is merely a
> discussion on the technical mailing list. If you want to go through the
> change proposal process, please follow the complete process as described in
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/decision-policy/decision-policy.html .

Precisely. You are making substantive changes without a CP and without WG
approval. This is fine when there are no objections, but that is not the
case here.

It is not necessary to further discuss the technical merits of this change
with Opera in the face of these objections. That is something the WG should
undertake, not the editors.