Re: Netflix claims that EME is a W3C specification

Andreas,

All of the three specifications are at an early stage in the process. We
were careful not to use the words "standard" or "recommendation".
"specification" is just a word for a technical document.

All three documents are being worked on in the W3C. There have been
decisions taken to do that work and a decision taken that this work is in
scope of the HTML WG. I know you do not like these decisions, but that is
the situation. The distinction between the specifications is that EME has
not advanced to the stage where the W3C is asking for review by the
community, the public and other technical organizations, that doesn't mean
the document does not exist in the W3C.

We think the fact that the work is being done in the W3C, rather than
behind closed doors, is a more important one than the formal status. We
want this work to be done openly and the W3C provides an excellent forum
for that. It provides opportunities for different stakeholders to
participate, including privacy and accessibility experts and people such as
yourself.

Anyone who is interested in the actual formal status of the work has only
to click the links we provided right in the blog post to discover the
official status.

Finally, the main subject of the blog post was the product announcement,
not the status of the specifications.

Based on the above I don't accept that what we posted is misleading or
inappropriate.

...Mark