Re: Netflix claims that EME is a W3C specification

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Mat Marquis <mat@matmarquis.com> wrote:

> On Apr 16, at 11:21 AM, Glenn Adams wrote:
>
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 2:33 AM, Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz@ping.de>wrote:
>
>> Netflix now publicly writes about "The W3C Encrypted Media Extensions
>> specification":
>> http://techblog.netflix.com/2013/04/html5-video-at-netflix.html
>>
>> I think that this is inappropriate / incorrect. The EME document is only
>> an Editor's Draft and Netflix knows that there was and is not even
>> consensus to publish it as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD).
>>

> That's because IT IS a W3C specification. The phrase "W3C specification"
> is widely used to refer to a document being developed in the W3C for
> possibly eventual publishing. It implies nothing about the status of the
> document. You have been told this before, so I'm not sure what your point
> is.
>

> If it’s a matter of semantic misunderstanding and not a conscious effort
> to frame this as adhering to an established standard, perhaps some text
> should be added to the post clarifying that the EME extension specification
> is not currently proceeding along any standards track? It certainly reads
> that way to me, as I’m sure it will to a number of readers who aren’t
> following the topic closely—it may come across as misleading.

But this is incorrect. EME IS in fact proceeding along the well established
W3C REC track. In particular, it is actively being developed in the HTML WG
and implemented by a number of browser vendors, bugs are being processed
and resolved, and it is expected to be published as a FPWD once the current
bugs have been adequately addressed.

To use the language of the W3C Process document [1], EME is presently a
Work in Progress and the HTML WG intends to advance it to Recommendation.

The HTML WG chairs and W3C team have stated a number of times that this
work is consistent with the WG charter and goals of the members.

Regarding the fact that certain parties object to this work, there is a
well defined process for managing dissent [2] and formal objections [3].
The chairs have more than once repeated the process document's statement
that "Dissenters cannot stop a group's work simply by saying that they
cannot live with a decision."

In conclusion, there is nothing inconsistent about referring to EME as a
"W3C specification".

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/
[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/process.html#managing-dissent
[3]