Re: Netflix claims that EME is a W3C specification

On Apr 16, 2013, at 16:33 , Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz@ping.de> wrote:

> Netflix now publicly writes about "The W3C Encrypted Media Extensions
> specification":
> http://techblog.netflix.com/2013/04/html5-video-at-netflix.html
>
> I think that this is inappropriate / incorrect. The EME document is only
> an Editor's Draft and Netflix knows that there was and is not even
> consensus to publish it as a First Public Working Draft (FPWD).

Which is probably why they link directly to the document on the W3C's site that is clearly labeled as an editor's draft of specification. I don't see anywhere where there is a claim that the document is 'final'.  It's pretty common for standards bodies and so on to refer to their products by what they hope that they will be published as;  people often ask "where is the XXX specification in the process?" and the answer for this one is "it is currently only in editor's drafts".

David Singer