Re: Extension Specification Authoring & Publication

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2012, at 5:07 PM, Travis Leithead <
> Travis.Leithead@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> I'll note that for a lot of other extension specs: MSE, EME, sourceset,
> <picture>, at least; they appear to be stand-alone documents.****
>
> I personally think that cloning HTML5.1 just to add one new behavior or
> tag is wayyy too much overhead. Yes, it'll be easy to merge later, but it's
> absolutely terrible for calling attention to the specific nature of the
> extension proposal.
>

> I don't think Silvia was proposing cloning HTML 5.1, neither in textual
> terms nor even necessarily in git terms. She was just suggesting hosting on
> GitHub, at least for extensions that aspire to be merged someday.

Yes, sorry, I wasn't very concrete. I would indeed recommend to make a
separate spec, but if you want it merged into HTML5.1 at a later time, it
would be much easier to have it on GitHub.

Note that none of our current extension specs include all the rest of HTML.
> Even ones that are created by branching from the html repository do not do
> so.

Maybe except for the srcset spec at
https://github.com/w3c/html/tree/w3c-srcset , which has tags that make is
small to get to http://dev.w3.org/html5/srcset/ . That works for me, too,
but it probably asking too much of editors.

Regards,
Silvia.