W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > May 2015

Minutes from today

From: <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 17:53:34 +0200
To: HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Message-Id: <37591432828414@webcorp02g.yandex-team.ru>
at http://www.w3.org/2015/05/28-html-a11y-minutes.html, or as text below...

Present
chaals, paulc, BrianKardell, Léonie, janina, JF, IanPouncey, Judy, Liam, Cynthia_Shelly, IanP, PaulC, BrianK, Cynthia
Regrets
Chair
chaals
Scribe
chaals
Contents

Topics
Agenda Edits & Additions
Canvas 2D Level 1 Progress -- Mark, Janina, Paul?
Canvas 2D
Alt Doc Update -- Shane, Liam
Transcript Support Update -- John, Chaals
Transcript
Webex
action items
Summary of Action Items
<trackbot> Date: 28 May 2015
Agenda Edits & Additions

<inserted> scribe: chaals
CMN: for 2 minutes while we wait for people…

Canvas 2D Level 1 Progress -- Mark, Janina, Paul?

Canvas 2D

CMN: Where are we? Last call has 2 weeks to run, we need testing plan for the new stuff, and Rich is on vacation this week.

PC: Have been doing some work on this. Cannot find previous canvas tests :(

… asking for help. Also working with previous editors to see how we handle LC comments. Most important thing from the TF is to confirm status of two new accessibility features in implementation

<scribe> ACTION: CMN check with Rich next week on testing of new accessibility features [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/05/28-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]
<scribe> ACTION: chaals to check with Rich next week on testing of new accessibility features [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/05/28-html-a11y-minutes.html#action02]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-322 - Check with rich next week on testing of new accessibility features [on Charles McCathie Nevile - due 2015-06-04].
JS: My concern, under old process, is that we don't leave last call and go to CR still having problems. Want to make sure we don't find that in testing new accessibility features.

Alt Doc Update -- Shane, Liam

<inserted> scribeNick: LJWatson
CMN: We're waiting for Liam to sync his changes to the editor's draft.

<chaals> ... including a statement that the goal
CMN: Liam says it should be done this week. So that's where to file issues/Github.

<chaals> draft repository
<chaals> as a document…
Transcript Support Update -- John, Chaals

<paulc> WG Note: http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/NOTE-html-alt-techniques-20150521/
PC: Thought we agreed to file issues against the HTML spec. Why the editor's draft?

CMN: We agreed to work on a draft within the TF, then propose changes to the HTML spec.
... We'll send proposed text, and the HTML editors can merge it into the HTML spec if agreeable.

PC: So the second link is a copy of part of the HTML spec?

CMN: It's indeterminate until Liam syncs the changes.

LQ: It will have a statement to indicate the goal more clearly.
... I'm doing what may be a fairly big reorganisation to make it more usable.
... Then will issue a pull request if the TF agrees the content is an improvement on the current spec text.

PC: Thinking about a single pull request for a mass of changes.

CMN: That's an understood problem.

LQ: Can't do pull requests on small changes when the doc has been reogganised.

CMN: We'll provide enough detail for review.

Transcript

<JF> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Full_Transcript
CMN: Given use cases, we have a roughly workable approach. Need to draft spec text, but JF and I have not done so.

<chaals> ACTION: chaals to draft a transcript extension specification [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/05/28-html-a11y-minutes.html#action03]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-323 - Draft a transcript extension specification [on Charles McCathie Nevile - due 2015-06-04].
JF: At the F2F in Seattle, Paul recommended we circulate the proposed solution more widely.
... Question is what we do?

CMN: We should note that finding a name for the element is still an issue.

<chaals> scribe: chaals
BK: There are a number of common interface metaphors on the web which boil down to a set of "panels"…

… some of them are described through ARIA.

… They are currently difficult to implement - requiring a collection of JS, CSS, etc, and they can be fragile especially with respect to accessibility.

… We have put together a proposal that provides elements "panelset", "panel", … and DOM apis etc, that would provide a simple markup-based approach, stylable with CSS.

… This becomes quite valuable in supporting responsive design, enabling the same content to transform from a carousel to an accordion, for example, depending on media characteristics.

-> http://bkardell.github.io/common-panel/index-ljw.html Current proposal

… And thus World Peace and silver unicorns...

BK: There is a prototype that shows this functioning so you can play with it. Please do, and file bugs.

… we would like to drive this through the new incubator group for HTML.

… this is a good opportunity to demonstrate a path for bringing an experiment into HTML, with necessary input along the way

CMN: Next steps? should this go from TF to the HTML group directly?

BK: Want to get a lot of people looking and testing this…
... I am using this. If I start with something accessible it is easier not to break that, which is nice. Please look at it and test it. I've seen it simplify things we need to do, but is that true for people outside my organisation?

PC: HTML group is only chartered for another month. Not obvious that it will continue in its current form for much longer. I'd like to suggest in-depth discussions contniue in the TF where there is critical mass, and tell the WG what you are doing when you are happy with that.

… seems TFs are the short-term place for getting work done on HTML - but please also make sure you share the information.

<bkardell_> it is listed on https://specs.webplatform.org/ btw
<scribe> ACTION: Chaals to work with Brian and Léonie, with discussion in TF but telling the rest of the world about tab panels. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/05/28-html-a11y-minutes.html#action04]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-324 - Work with brian and léonie, with discussion in tf but telling the rest of the world about tab panels. [on Charles McCathie Nevile - due 2015-06-04].
Webex

CMN: How many people on this call are now happy using webex?

<liam> +1
<IanPouncey> +1
-1

<LJWatson> +1
<bkardell_> is there an alternative? I _can_ use it
CS: +1

<janina> +1 to able; -1 to happy
<JF> +0 (ambivalent)
Question: Are you able to functionally use webex

CMN: Seems like I am the one who cannot make webex work.

JB: There are accessibility issues it seems. Please capture those if you run into them.

<bkardell_> web rtc?
<Zakim> liam, you wanted to ask if anyone has not tried webex
JF: Haven't used it yet directly. Dial-in audio is poor.

[poor audio fro phones is a known issue]

<bkardell_> FWIW, I regularly have to dial in to webex and the audio seems acceptable to me
LQ: We have some influence over configuration, but do not own our setup

JB: We also have access to Cisco who are interested in improving accessibility.

JS: Improving PSTN codecs would be helpful in particular.

ack BK: No webRTC solution?

[not yet]

[There are known platform problems…]

action items

close action-314

<trackbot> Closed action-314.
<LJWatson> CMN: JF you have three actions relating to transcript?
close cation-315

close action-315

<trackbot> Closed action-315.
CMN: My outstanding item is outstanding :(

CS: I won't get to mine for a while :(

close action-316

<trackbot> Closed action-316.
<bkardell_> Please let us know if you have any feedback at all on the panels/panelsets


--
Charles McCathie Nevile - web standards - CTO Office, Yandex
chaals@yandex-team.ru - - - Find more at http://yandex.com
Received on Thursday, 28 May 2015 15:54:06 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Thursday, 28 May 2015 15:54:06 UTC