Re: ALT document as a note

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 15:55:37 +0100 Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:

> which browsers and which examples in particular? I don't know any browser
> apart from pre IE8 that (incorectly) exposes alt as a tooltip.

Older ones now, especially if there are also title attributes. But the alt text may still get truncated if it's too long.

> It was previously agreed in the
> taskforce I would include some information about longdesc once it was
> finalized.
I'm fine with that (I know I'm coming in to this late)

[...]
>  why would a web site make you read through it as a sighted person? alt is
> not displayed unless the image is not loaded.

The first example in 1.6 does this, using <p id="des"> to encode an image description.

At any rate, given that the TF is OK with the idea that the note can be updated in the future, I'm fine with publishing it as-is, but I do feel (coming at it for the first time) that it needs to reflect the status of longdesc, of ARIA described-at, and to clarify the relationship to the HTML title attribute.

Thanks for replying!

Liam