W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-html-a11y@w3.org > May 2014

Minutes: HTML A11Y TF Teleconference, 29 MAY 2014

From: Mark Sadecki <mark@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 12:31:20 -0400
Message-ID: <538760D8.5020002@w3.org>
To: HTML A11Y TF Public <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hello,

The minutes for the HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference 29 May 2014
are available in HTML and plain text below:

HTML:
http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-html-a11y-minutes.html

TEXT:

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

              HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

29 May 2014

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-html-a11y-irc

Attendees

   Present
          janina, Adrian_Roselli, Mark_Sadecki, Cynthia_Shelly,
          [IPcaller], JF, chaals, Judy, paulc, David_MacDonald,
          IanPouncey1, leonie?

   Regrets
   Chair
          Janina

   Scribe
          chaals

Contents

     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]Identify Scribe
            http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scr
            ibe_List
         2. [5]Longdesc
         3. [6]Canvas 2D Status & Next Steps
         4. [7]Alt Call for Consensus
         5. [8]Media Subteam
         6. [9]HTML 5.1 Next Steps
         7. [10]Bug Triage
         8. [11]mathML accessibility
     * [12]Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________

   <trackbot> Date: 29 May 2014

   <janina> Meeting: HTML-A11Y Task Force Teleconference

Identify Scribe
[13]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

     [13] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

   <scribe> scribe: chaals

Longdesc

   PaulC: So we will have a spec next week we hope, then CfC in
   this group, then HTML, then director meeting.

   Marks: Yep.

   JF: Sent email in reply to comment on james craig's suggestion
   to reject longdesc for mathml. Result of looking is that
   neither of these solutions alone would work - so the comment
   shouldn't be highlighted one way or another.

   -> [14]http://www.w3.org/mid/036b01cf7789$3e3158c0$ba940a40$@ca
   John's email

     [14] http://www.w3.org/mid/036b01cf7789$3e3158c0$ba940a40$@ca

   ACTION-195?

   <trackbot> ACTION-195 -- John Foliot to Contact edu folks re:
   mathml support and failure status in 2 weeks -- due 2013-09-19
   -- CLOSED

   <trackbot> [15]http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/195

     [15] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/195

   JS: There is no support in mainstream browsers?

   JF: There is in Safari and Firefox, but AT support isn't that
   good either...

   MS: We came up with a broader, more general statement that we
   hope accommodates for current problems and points to solutions
   that we hope will work in time.

   PC: Is the comment about access support in MathML documented
   somewhere?

   CMN: It was discussed to a certain extent in the bug...

   JB: My understanding is implementation support issues are
   known, but not well-documented in ways that will help work
   going forward.

   ... most problems I know of are specifically with regard to
   browser support.

   ... I think there is an opportunity to document and follow up
   on MathML accessibility and would love some thoughts about good
   ways to do that.

   <MarkS>
   [16]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Ju
   l/0046.html

     [16] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2013Jul/0046.html

   CS: I've looked into this too. JF, want to collaborate on this?

   JF: I would be happy to do that, would be happy to make
   introductions to people who work specifically on this.

   ... problem with MathML is two-fold - rendering in browsers

   JF: There are people relying on Mathjax. Complex problem -
   everyone sees MathML as the future but that it doesn't work
   yet.

   JS: There are standalone products with good accessible support,
   and general consternation at blink dropping mathml support.

   JB: Suggestion to make a wiki page is only good if it gets
   plugged into the relevant places.

   <scribe> ACTION: cyns to create a wiki page dealing with math
   accessibility [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-html-a11y-minutes.html#action0
   1]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-256 - Create a wiki page dealing with
   math accessibility [on Cynthia Shelly - due 2014-06-05].

   ACTION-256 due 2014-07-07

   <trackbot> Set ACTION-256 Create a wiki page dealing with math
   accessibility due date to 2014-07-07.

Canvas 2D Status & Next Steps

   MS: we have support for drawfocus/hit regions in FF nightly.

   ... nothing new from Chrome but they are working with Samsung
   to get hitregions done - they already support drawfocus.

   ... talking to HTML chairs about future of canvas subgroup.

   PC: HTML chairs didn't meet this week. Will consider that
   tomorrow when we meet face to face.

Alt Call for Consensus

   JS: New call for consensus on guidance for text alternatives in
   HTML.

   ... this is important and fairly complex, covering edits to 2
   documents - standalone guidance document from Steve, plus
   changes made to HTML5 spec.

   <MarkS> [18]CfC on Alt guidance

     [18] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2014May/0110.html

   ... also a recommendation in terms of next steps - proposed to
   publish steve's document as a Note with no further development
   planned.

   PC: sent note to co-chairs preparing for meeting with TimBL
   tomorrow. Think introducing a link to a page about text is only
   in 5.1, not in 5.0. Has that been discussed or is it just a
   pending edit?

   MS: Later today I will have the results of comparing them. We
   can talk with Robin.

   PC: think the intent of the TF was to have the link in 5.0

   JS: Indeed.

Media Subteam

   MS: We met to provide feedback to WebTV IG on use cases.

   ... Web/TV reps present have taken the work back to their IG

   JS: Owe them a use case that I haven't written up. Also got a
   note inviting us to a call of theirs - at a date To Be
   Determined

   MS: Updated Media User Requirements Accessibility doc. should
   be ready soon.

   JS: Propose section 4.8 should be rewritten before next
   heartbeat.

   ... the title is odd.

   ... Now we have a title "second screen" for what we want to
   cover. But the section itself is also not that well
   articulated.

   ... We should get a heartbeat draft out as soon as we can.

   CMN: Please get the heartbeat out.

HTML 5.1 Next Steps

   <MarkS> [19]HTML 5.1 Wishlist Wiki

     [19] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/51wishlist

   JS: We looked at interest areas, some of us took on areas we
   wanted to achieve things.

   ... propose we try to put some deadlines on the activity.

   ... Start scheduling the topics on TF meeting agenda as
   feasible.

   ... (this is really about HTML.next)

   MS: During Bug Triage we hit some bugs that we may want to take
   up - accesskey got added to the list.

   ... think it would be helpful to express an interest in hot
   priority items.

   ... Items someone is interested in are not the same as items
   that are generally considered important.

   CMN: Regrets for all of June, but happy to present on Accesskey
   after open web camp in the middle of july. won't be able to do
   payments until augugst

   MS: There are media subteam items trust those will be taken up
   by media sub-team and JF, just not sure when since they have a
   full plate right now.

   JF: A lot of the research on transcript has been done, but it
   got left on the table in the shift of process, and the ball got
   dropped. SHould be quick to resolve.

   JS: Plan-2014 authorises us to make extension specs for this if
   we choose.

   JF: Right. But we haven't done that so far.
   ... What's the date?

   CMN: presenting something in this meeting - should have
   started, may not be finished.

   <scribe> ACTION: foliot present on transcript and media
   descriptions [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-html-a11y-minutes.html#action0
   2]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-257 - Present on transcript and media
   descriptions [on John Foliot - due 2014-06-05].

   ACTION-257 due 2014-08-01

   <trackbot> Set ACTION-257 Present on transcript and media
   descriptions due date to 2014-08-01.

   JS: Let's do 3rd week in July for Date UI

   <scribe> ACTION: janina present on date UI in TF meeting. Due
   2014-07-20 [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-html-a11y-minutes.html#action0
   3]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-258 - Present on date ui in tf
   meeting. due 2014-07-20 [on Janina Sajka - due 2014-06-05].

   <scribe> ACTION: chaals present accesskey in TF meeting.
   [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-html-a11y-minutes.html#action0
   4]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-259 - Present accesskey in tf
   meeting. [on Charles McCathie Nevile - due 2014-06-05].

   ACTION-259 due 2014-7-15

   <trackbot> Set ACTION-259 Present accesskey in tf meeting. due
   date to 2014-07-15.

   MS: Lisa, Marku are interested but don't have dates expressed.

   ... also need to follow up Jeanne Spellman, Rich, Ian Puncey,
   ...

   ... referencing UAAG is Jeanne. Need to wait for UAAG to get
   further along before we can do anything there.

   ... general media stuff was assigned to the sub-team.

   <scribe> ACTION: chaals to present web payments in TF meeting
   [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-html-a11y-minutes.html#action0
   5]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-260 - Present web payments in tf
   meeting [on Charles McCathie Nevile - due 2014-06-05].

   ACTION-260 Due 2014-08-25

   <trackbot> Set ACTION-260 Present web payments in tf meeting
   due date to 2014-08-25.

   MS: Footnotes and stuff is kind of complex. Talked to some
   folks on it. Some time in July I hope.

   ... realtime chat - leonie, Janina...

   LW: Mid-june works for me...

   <scribe> ACTION: leonie to present realtime chat in TF meeting
   [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-html-a11y-minutes.html#action0
   6]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-261 - Present realtime chat in tf
   meeting [on Léonie Watson - due 2014-06-05].

   ACTION-261 due 2014-06-27

   <trackbot> Set ACTION-261 Present realtime chat in tf meeting
   due date to 2014-06-27.

   CS: can I add menus?

   [sure you can]

   <scribe> ACTION: cyns to present on menus in TF meeting
   [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-html-a11y-minutes.html#action0
   7]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-262 - Present on menus in tf meeting
   [on Cynthia Shelly - due 2014-06-05].

   JS: What are the most important?

   CMN: THe ones I am going to work on...

   JS: Calendar would be good, if we are willing to move somewhere
   on that. I think media is a big win emerging too.

   AR: calendar, media

   ... but given more time I could come up with a better list.

   MS: Media, real time chat, anythng for forms, anything I think
   we missed in 5 - accesskey. In that order.

   CS: menus, calendars

   CMN: abstain

   JF: media, especially transcript. payments.

   Judy: Fix all the problems…

   ... sounds like a lot of people are looking around mid-july to
   start talking. WOuld encourage people to move earlier so we
   start getting the hang of some topics. This might change
   perceptions on priority.

   JS: 5.1 is aiming for last call in Q4

   PC: no comments

   ... Video.

   IP: Media, transcripts. Menus

   LW: abstain

   DM: video. calendar.

Bug Triage

   <LJWatson>
   [26]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&b
   ug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&component=HTML%20a11y%20
   Task%20Force&list_id=38179&product=HTML%20WG&query_format=advan
   ced

     [26]
https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&component=HTML%20a11y%20Task%20Force&list_id=38179&product=HTML%20WG&query_format=advanced

   LW: Have cleared our backlog of 5.0 bugs. We have 8 bugs in
   holding pattern in TF component.

   <LJWatson>
   [27]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13639

     [27] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13639

   ... one bug we want TF input. Needs some looking at.

   ... support for CSS2 system colours.

   ... if this is a valid issue we need to know why and what to
   do.

   JS: Suspect it is still a valid problem, but to what extent?

   ... Users who have issues with colour contrast set up systems
   to match them. Having systems that don't respect those causes
   problems. We have had problems getting tools to honour system
   colours.

   DM: Wayne Dick?

   <JF> ACTION: JF to contact Wayne Dick for input on CSS2 system
   colours issue [recorded in
   [28]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-html-a11y-minutes.html#action0
   8]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-263 - To contact wayne dick for input
   on css2 system colours issue [on John Foliot - due 2014-06-05].

   <paulc> Leaving to prep for the WG meeting.

mathML accessibility

   JF: I can do some email introductions.

   ... do you know Sean and Greg?

   CS: I know some people.

   JF: There is a bunch of expertise around .edu sector.

   JS: Also Neill ??? from design science.

   <MarkS> Sina Bahram has done a lot of work with MathML. I think
   he is with DesignScience as well

   CS: Let's synch this offline.

   [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: chaals present accesskey in TF meeting. [recorded
   in
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-html-a11y-minutes.html#action0
   4]
   [NEW] ACTION: chaals to present web payments in TF meeting
   [recorded in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-html-a11y-minutes.html#action0
   5]
   [NEW] ACTION: cyns to create a wiki page dealing with math
   accessibility [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-html-a11y-minutes.html#action0
   1]
   [NEW] ACTION: cyns to present on menus in TF meeting [recorded
   in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-html-a11y-minutes.html#action0
   7]
   [NEW] ACTION: foliot present on transcript and media
   descriptions [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-html-a11y-minutes.html#action0
   2]
   [NEW] ACTION: janina present on date UI in TF meeting. Due
   2014-07-20 [recorded in
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-html-a11y-minutes.html#action0
   3]
   [NEW] ACTION: JF top contact Wayne Dick for input on CSS2
   system colours issue [recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-html-a11y-minutes.html#action0
   8]
   [NEW] ACTION: leonie to present realtime chat in TF meeting
   [recorded in
   [36]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-html-a11y-minutes.html#action0
   6]

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [37]scribe.perl version
    1.138 ([38]CVS log)
    $Date: 2014-05-29 16:30:14 $

     [37] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [38] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 29 May 2014 16:31:25 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 7 January 2015 15:05:38 UTC